PDA

View Full Version : Mission Impossible !!!!!!!!

peter_griffin
01-27-2004, 11:25 PM
Your mission should you choose to accept it !!!!!!!!!! ;D

The Situation:

#1- I need to get a tank stand built that will hold one 75gal. tank.

#2- It has to be at least 32 in high, and be made of wood Gorrilla stands are too heavy.

#3- I can only spend $60 dollars.

#4- I have access to very few tools; cordless drill, screwdriver (and screws), Hammer (and nails).

#5- I know of a local lumber yard that makes precision cuts for THREE DOLLARS per cut(they are the only people who do this in my area). So the fewer cuts the better.

#6- I've got to get it built by tomorrow night.

.................................................. ..............................CAN IT BE DONE?

jeep
01-28-2004, 12:33 AM
If it doesn't have to be pretty, buy some 2x4's. Cut four of them 1" longer than the length of the tank. Cut four more 1" longer than the depth (front to back) of the tank, minus 3 1/2". Cut four more any length to make the stand as tall as you want.

Use 3" deck screws to make two identicle rectangles (placing the shortest 2x4's INSIDE the longer ones) that are 1" larger than the frame of the tank. Attach the remaining 2x4's, vertically, to one of the rectangles with 4 deck screws at each corner. Attach the other rectangle about 10" above the floor using four more deck screws at each corner.

If you're unsure of the stability, take two left-over 2x4's and hold them at the ends of the stand (back-top to front-bottom), draw a line, cut on the line and attach with additional screws...

$15 and 30 minutes later, you're done ;)

peter_griffin
01-28-2004, 01:02 AM
I like the sound of that price and time jeep! 8)I could by a saw with the extra dough and make the cuts myself. Do you/andbody have a diagram of a stand like that, or how to link. I learn better with pictures ;D

jeep
01-28-2004, 08:41 AM
Sorry Tom, I don't have a program that will transfer a plan to the site.

It's really even easier that it sounds I'm just not good at translating ;D

Take a look at some stands we built in this thread... It's different only in that we used 4x4's instead of 2x4's for the legs...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=14556;s tart=120

Brian

Haywire
02-06-2004, 01:35 PM
I have a daigram I might be able to get you, it's from someone else, I'd have to get his permission prior to posting it.

lord knows, someone reading this message may take it back to him for his comments and again I'd be upsetting him.

Don't forget to use some small 90deg. angle brackets to transfer loads from the rectangles to the legs.