PDA

View Full Version : Barebottom Here I Come!!!

knewby
01-28-2004, 12:19 AM
Ok, fine, I'll give, I'm going to keep my empty 40g as a barebottom for discus instead of a planted. With all the success stories I've heard, it must be a lot easier to keep a barebottom than a planted tank. I still have some questions about my setup though.

1. Can I use my power filter instead of a sponge filter? Or do I need to buy a sponge?

2. Can I keep my plants in pots with a high wattage light?

3. Am I making the right choice?

RyanH
01-28-2004, 12:29 AM
:thumbsup: You won't be sorry. Neither will your fish. ;)

Here are my humble opinions:

1. You are better off with both. I would also get a sponge pre-filter for your powerfilter intake. NO CARBON!

2. If you feel its necessary... don't forget to syphon out the gravel in your pots from time to time.

3. Definately!!! ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup:

knewby
01-28-2004, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the advice Ryan. I have a couple of questions...

1. Why shouldn't I use carbon? Are you talking about the power filter or the sponge filter?

2. Can I switch this tank into a planted when the fish are older?

3. Should I add any pleco or algae eater for the plants?

RyanH
01-28-2004, 12:53 AM
1. Carbon essentially does the same thing for you that regular water changes do. Except if you forget to replace it frequently, it "dumps" all of the contaminants that it had removed from your water right back in, effectively poisoning your fish. IMO carbon is unnecessary and is more trouble than it is worth. Do your water changes and you will never miss it. I would, however, keep some around to remove meds if you should ever need to use any. (and you will)

2. You can, but I would stay barebottom until you get the hang of keeping them for awhile. I tried it once when I first got started and I killed alot of fish. I nearly left the hobby because of the frustration I experienced. I waited about 2 years before I tried doing a Discus showtank again and I am really glad I did.

3. I wouldn't add either to a Discus tank. They will eventually start to attach themselves to your Discus. BAD. They also may chew on your plants. BAD. If you don't like algae wipe your glass down once a week or so and shorten the time that your lights are on and you will be fine. If you feel its necessary to keep something in your tank for algae control, try bristlenose or flying foxes. Your plants should help keep the algae under control as well.

hth
-Ryan

knewby
01-28-2004, 01:06 AM
Sounds cool! What should I feed the discus when I first introduce them into the tank? When?

RyanH
01-28-2004, 01:09 AM
I would start them on whatever they were eating before you got them. Just ask the seller. I would also wait 24 hrs. to give them a chance to rest and get their bearings. Then feed the hell out of them!

knewby
01-28-2004, 01:53 AM
Thanks for all the help! Before you know it, I'll be posting some beautiful pics, and it will be thanks to you!

Thanks Again ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

RyanH
01-28-2004, 01:58 AM
I'm looking forward to those pics! :thumbsup:

discus-fan
01-29-2004, 06:45 PM
OK, I'm no expert at all at this stuff but I will tell ya how we have our 120gal set up. We have a bio-wheel filter on the back. We have 2 sponge filters also. On one of the sponge filters we have a tube going from the top with a power head on it (on low) it is pointed towards the end of one tank. Being a female, yes I like bubbles in a tank. I finally talked my husband into letting me put one on the discus tank. We have it set up on a low bubble right behind the intake on the filter. Believe it or not it helps. It draws stuff off the bottom of the tank, The power head pushes down there and the bubbles up bring it into the intake. Bottom always stays clean.

We have 13 juv discus in this tank, we use RO water mixed with some tap. Our fish love the tank and are friendly. Hubby cleans the filter pads everynight or every other night. :) Such a good hubby

Carol_Roberts
01-29-2004, 08:07 PM
Personally, I'd rather have the feces where I can see it to vacuum out rather than hiding in the filter where every gallon of water runs through it several time an hour.

Jeff
01-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Welcome to the world of easy discus keeping. ;)

Don_Lee
02-01-2004, 07:07 PM
Just remember too, high lighting that plants need spook discus, and cause algae. Believe me, I have been there and done that! Good Luck! ;D

Don