PDA

View Full Version : tank heating

cddf2b
01-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Hey everybody, my name is Chris, I am new here. Anyway, I'm having trouble getting my aquarium to the temp. that I want. Heres the deal, its a 40 gallon breeder tank(36x18x16), and I have a 200 watt visitherm about 2 days old, and a 100 watt stainless steel heater about 2 months old. Being a poor college kid, my tank is on a stand made of cynder blocks with a piece of wood laying across the top, no insulation underneath. Also, I dont have a top on the aquarium, but I will tommorow, does this make a difference? right now I have both heaters turned up to about 89-90, and the tank temp is only 83. I have some wilds ordered, and I'd like to boost the temp up to about 88 for their arrival, any thoughts?

cddf2b
01-28-2004, 04:15 PM
by the way, the thermostat in my apartment is around 69-72

RyanH
01-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Is your tank near a window or door where there is a draft?

And yes, not having a top will make it more difficult to keep your tank water warm. However, 300 total watts should be more than sufficient for a 40 gal. tank... if your heaters are working properly...

btw, welcome to Simply!

cddf2b
01-28-2004, 06:17 PM
thanks ryan! this is an awesome website! ive learned a lot here!

as for my tank, its not near a window or door, im guessing it must be the top, i went to a glass place today and had them cut me a top that will be ready tommorow, it was something like 9.50, a lot cheaper than buying a glass top from a fish store!

Martinphillip03
01-28-2004, 10:51 PM
keep us updated

Marty

RyanH
01-28-2004, 11:10 PM
That's not a bad price at all. Just make sure that those edges are rounded off or you will lose your savings in medical bills. If for some reason it doesn't work out try www.bigals.com or www.petsolutions.com and look for a Versa-Top. They have done well for me and are very reasonably priced. Plus, you don't have to worry about severing an artery when you are cleaning your tanks.

hth
-Ryan

cddf2b
01-28-2004, 11:39 PM
haha, ya, i will be careful. I really do think my loss of heat is from not having a cover on the tank, ive gotten the water temp up to about 85 now, and it feel like its about 85 in my room as well! anyway, have any of you seen those plastic edges that are used to hold reports together?? they go the length of the edge of a piece of paper. maybe some of you who are in school might know what i mean. you cover the paper with a clear piece of plastic, then slide these along the edge to form a book kind of.... anybody know what i mean? i was thinking of running up to campus and buying some of those, they would fit perfectly along the edge of the glass, no more sharp edges

RyanH
01-29-2004, 12:02 AM
Those just might work if your glass was cut a little smaller than the lip that runs around the top of your tank. Otherwise you won't have a tight fit and it will just have to lay on top. When that happens, water condenses on the glass and will tend to drip on your floor. I have a versa-top sitting on a 75 gal. acryllic that I have been having this problem with. But I was concerned with my fish jumping out of the tank.

cddf2b
01-29-2004, 12:11 AM
man! this place is awesome! im pumped! i cant wait for my fish to show up tommorow! thanks for all the replys ryan!

RyanH
01-29-2004, 12:16 AM
I just looked at www.petsolutions.com and they had versa-tops for 17.99 (hint, hint). Make sure that you figure in your time, frustration, and safety into the cost of something that was not intended for your tank. ;)

Keep us posted...

MonkeeFish
01-29-2004, 12:24 AM
u can use stryofoam to like insulate the bottom of the tank i believe

RyanH
01-29-2004, 12:37 AM
Hey Chris,

One other thing just occured to me. Are you sure that you have an accurate thermometer? I would maybe invest in a second one just to be sure that you are getting an accurate reading. You could also try using an oral thermometer, which tend to be more accurate, just to compare the readings. Just a thought...

cddf2b
01-29-2004, 01:20 AM
ya, you are probable right, but ill give this top a try for a couple days. it might not be so bad, i actually had it cut into a larger 10" back piece, and a smaller 5" front strip that i can more easily lift off for maintenance, so we will see how it goes, if not ill take the hint! haha as for the second thermometer, not a bad idea, well worth 2 or 3 bucks id say, im actually about to run up to wal-mart( the place for everything here)for some groceries, so ill grab one, an aquarium theremometer is an aquarium thermometer right? even if it is from wal-mart

Chris

RyanH
01-29-2004, 01:34 AM
:thumbsup: