PDA

View Full Version : EcoComplete

M0oN
01-28-2004, 06:03 PM
I'm starting a heavily planted tank and I was planning on using Flourite but now I've found that it's too jagged for my cory cats not to hurt themselves on. I hate the look of most gravel's I've seen and I'm afraid that putting sand will eventually lead to the malaysian trumpet snails turning it over so that the flourite is exposed.

I've never seen EcoComplete in person but the pictures I've seen look like it's somewhat rounded, I was wondering if anyone has experience with this stuff that they could share.

If not does anyone have any ideas for me that could fix this situation? I'm at a loss...

Thanks,
Jason

ChloroPhil
01-28-2004, 07:14 PM
I use 100% Flourite in my discus tank and have no problems with my cories hurting themselves on the edges. In fact, most people I've spoken with have no problem with Flourite and cories. Eco-Complete is reputed to be good stuff if you want to use it instead.

M0oN
01-28-2004, 07:37 PM
Guess I'll go that route then as I think it looks ten times better and has been proven to work for plants.

Any tips on washing it?

vickie s
01-28-2004, 08:30 PM
M0on,

Are you refering to washing the Eco Complete? I understand that the Eco Comlete is not suposed to need any washing.

Like Phil, I use flourite without any cory problems.
vickie

stir-fry
01-28-2004, 10:30 PM
I've got gravel and flourite mix with cory's, kuhli loaches, clown loaches, queen loaches, etc etc, none of them are complaining :)

M0oN
01-29-2004, 12:46 AM
I was referring to washing the flourite but after comparing prices I can get a lot more ecocomplete at a better price and I've heard nothing but praise about it, so that's what I'll use.

I think it would look better with some davidsansi cory's anyway, I'm only worried about my apistogramma borelli darkening up because it's black, does anyone have any experience with using black substrate with borelli or with Ctenopoma acutirostre for that matter?

I've only used it once before (black substrate) and that was with discus and the results were absolutely horrible, I nearly vomitted at the way my red turks looked...well not really...but they did turn almost completely black.

RAWesolowski
01-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Jason,

I have used eco-complete and it isn't bad. No washing and it is puportedly bio-active. However, I would still go through the set-up cycle with a new tank. Another consideration would be to use Onyx gravel from Seachem. I tried the sand but it was too fine for my taste. However, I have heard that your pH will rise if you use CO2 in your tank with Onyx.

Wahter
01-30-2004, 02:15 PM
One of my friends is using EcoComplete and her discus turned darker than when she used flourite. I think the fish are doing the "darker color in the darker environment"' routine.

M0oN
01-30-2004, 07:53 PM
Wahter, it would make sense, considering fish would figure that most of their predators are coming from above them they would try and blend into the bottom of the tank, right?

Wahter
01-30-2004, 08:42 PM
When Jack Wattley came to speak at our local club's workshop a few years ago, he mentioned that he often heard people say their discus were darker colored, so the would always have to tell them to change the coloring of the background, etc... and that always worked.