PDA

View Full Version : So, if my water is *not* chlorinated....

sunspark
01-30-2004, 02:48 PM
and my ph from the tap is about the same as the ph of the tank, cna I add water straight from the tap if doing small 10-20% water changes? My water doesn't seem to "bubble" much which means I don't have much co2 correct? In fact I really don't see bubbles at all in a glass. I've lived in previous towns where you would wait 5 min to let the bubbles all rise to the surface before you'd drink the tap water.

Thanks, Carolyn

ronrca
01-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Bubbles do not necessarily mean little C02. The way to test your water ph is by letting it sit (aeration and heated) for 24hours then test the ph again. If its the same, you are very fortunate. If you also do not have any chlorine or chloramines, wow, you are extremely fortunate. This being the case, you can do 90% wc's from tap (adjusting the temp though first).

Are you sure that you do not have any chlorine or chloramines?

sunspark
01-30-2004, 05:03 PM
I know I have no chlorine, but I'm not sure about chloramines. How does one check for that?
Thanks, Carolyn

BuffaloDiscus
01-30-2004, 05:08 PM
Hi,

I believe the best way to check for chloramine is to get in contact with your water provider. They should be able to tell you everything they add to treat the H20.

HTH,

T

Carol_Roberts
01-30-2004, 06:06 PM
If you have your own well on your property you probably don't have chlorine/chloramine. You may have trapped CO2 in the water. What is the pH from the tap and the pH of your tank 24 hours after a water change (or you can measure the pH of a cup of water that has set on the counter overnight)