PDA

View Full Version : Tank size

Milleruszk
01-31-2004, 10:08 PM
:-\

I am putting together plans for my new discus setup. I have about 10' of wall space. I am going to build racks from 2x4 and 4x4 that I saw on this board. My question is what is the best size tank for Discus? What size is the most functional? Would I be better off with 75s, 90s or 125 gals? Is a large tank (125 gal) practical? or more for the fishkeeper's enjoyment? Thanks for your recommendations!

Tom

Nightowl
02-01-2004, 12:26 AM
Hi Tom, let me tell you right off the bat...75's are as good as 90's...the 90 only gives you 3 more inches in height for about $100.00 more!
125's are great...I have about 20 fairly large discus in one, but they are too big(IMO) for growing out young fish. Its hard to beat an assortment of smaller tanks for price and manageability. Say 20-55 gallons. For a 3 foot space, I like 40g breeder tanks(36x18x16) but regular 30g longs work too(36x12x16). I like to put small fish(dime size) in 10 gal tanks. Larger tanks, once established, require more water to be changed to effect the same % water change. Smaller tanks go funky more quickly...its a trade off.
This is what I have on one 9 foot wall: top:20g, 30g, 29g(soon to be 38 g...a tall version of a 30). Next row:40breeder, 20g, 20g. On floor: 55g, 65 gal. Yes its crazy, I have 17 aquariums in a 9x10 room!

Well, hope this at least gave you some ideas
good luck J.T.

Milleruszk
02-01-2004, 11:42 AM
:D
Nightowl,

Ok I think what I probably do is make one rack that will hold 2 75 gal tanks, one on the top and one on the bottom. I saw 75s listed at about $120.00 ea. I will make another rack that will hold a 125 on the top and I will put an assortment of smaller tanks on the bottom of the 125 rack. Hopefully, as you pointed out, I will need smaller tanks to house fry! Thanks for the tips. Now to re-arrange the basement. If I move out and consolidate some stuff my tanks will be about 4 feet from the slop sink. I will not need long hoses to do water changes and I might be able to siphon tanks right into the sink. Thanks again.

Tom

Willie
02-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Tom;

You should stop and think about what are your objectives. Are you planning to grow out young discus? How many? Are you planning to buy breeding pairs? How many? Then, what size tanks are you going to set aside for quarantine? You may find it easier not to buy all the tanks now, since your requirements will change. For example, if you want to start by buying 10 2" fish to grow out, the 125's are not going to work for you. They should start in a 40 or 55. Do not make the mistake of asking how many tanks can be packed into a set space.

Have fun, Willie

Milleruszk
02-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Willie,

Well said. Neither my budget or my wife would not allow me to buy all of my tanks at this time! As you suggest, I am going to purchase about 10 2"-3" Discus and grow them out. Initially a 75 should be good to do this. Correct? As they grow I will split them into two groups. Transferring some of them into another 75? What size tank is best to raise fry? Thanks for your input.

Tom

:)

Nightowl
02-01-2004, 05:50 PM
30-55 gal. tanks are good growout fry tanks, depending on size of spawn. J.T.