PDA

View Full Version : Not all fish getting the food

Discusrite
02-01-2004, 06:45 AM
I have my discus for about 2-3 months and noticed that some of them have grown a bit while others barely/or not.
I suspect that some of them are hogging the food, especially when I used food timer ( i had to, can't be around to feed them all day long).
I've been thinking of getting another food timer and seperate the bigger fish from the smaller fish.
Is that a good idea?
I have 11 discus in a 90 gallon tank with an additional 40 gallon sump.
I perform daily 40 gallon WC and twice a day if I'm available to feed them more.

Carol_Roberts
02-01-2004, 01:05 PM
The extra feedings and seperation by size are both good ideas. Perhaps it can be accomplished with a divider in your current tank.

It will help if can feed them at least 4 times per day.

Discusrite
02-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Thanks Carol, for confirming.
The food timer I am using is set to feed them 6 times a day. I use Tetrabits.
I feed them pigs frozen bloodwormsfor the extra feeding. Getting beefheart is harder than I thought.

Keystonediscus
02-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Good advice Carol once again. May I add though. That no matter how many fish are in the group there will always be a runt or two that will grow slower. Its best to leave these fish there with the group. due to Natural pecking orders in the tank if this fish is removed someone else will take its place. the runt develops simply by out competition for food. JMHO