PDA

View Full Version : Heaters

lkleung007
02-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Hey Gang,

Just wondering what you all use to "reliably" heat your tanks. I am currently using Ebo's and Rena's but they seem to just die after several months at best. Also with the new Ebo's I see quite a bit of condensation inside the glass tube. Also, I am having trouble with the heaters sometimes not maintaining the set temperature!! >:(

Regards, Lester

Jeff
02-02-2004, 01:15 PM
Humm...Is there none of the above? I think they all are junk. And yes I use them too. We have no choice.

oodi
02-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Hi Lester,

Visitherms have served us well!

HTH,

Judi
:)

lkleung007
02-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the replies!!

Jeff, I was afraid you might say that...ugh >:(

Judi, I tried one of the "new" Visitherms but it just wouldn't heat the water past 82F.

Well the search goes on ???

Lester

RyanH
02-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Heaters scare the hell out of me. Putting a bad heater in your tank is the quickest way to kill your prized fish. I always watch new heaters closely and it takes quite awhile for them to earn my trust. I don't really have a place in my heart for any brand but I have had the best luck with the Ebo-Jagers. As of right now, I consider them to be the "lessor of the evils".

delmore
02-02-2004, 05:07 PM
I use Ebo jagers in my non-discus tanks with temps in the mid 70's, and have never had a problem. Perhaps they fail because of the higher temps.

I have a 300w pro heat for my 55g which will be set up soon, so no experience yet. I'll use a 200w visi-therm set 5 degrees lower as a backup.

DarkDiscus
02-02-2004, 05:18 PM
I'm using Visi-Therms again after going the Ebo route. So far so good. I used Visis for 10 years or so with excellent success - they used to be pretty brittle though and I had several shattered by Oscars, Red Devils and other bruisers. When I got into discus, the word was to go with Ebos, so I did, but have had 50% failure rates within 6 months. I still have 2 or 3 that are working fine, but as the Ebos fail I'm going back to Visis. No problems.

John

DarkDiscus
02-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Oh yeah,

I have a 200 watt VisiTherm which was in my African tank for over 5 years with no problems that is now in my discus water storage bin and has been for over 2 years now.

Of course I have also heard horror stories about Visis, so who knows what to do for heaters?

John

Barb Newell
02-02-2004, 05:32 PM
I am trying two VisiTherms now. They seem to keep the tank temp stable, I'm happy with them so far.

I've tried Ebos, Tronics, Hagen Pre-sets ---- all have jammed on and almost cooked a lot of fish.

Barb

lkleung007
02-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Hi John,

I have only tried one of the "newly redesigned" Visitherms but it just did not heat the tank to 86F...and I had it cranked up to max. setting!! I wonder if I should give it another try??

Lester

DarkDiscus
02-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Lester,

I have 2 100 watters in each of my 45s and they are set at 84 and seem to have no trouble hitting that. I haven't gone higher than that since I've been back to Visis.

John

oodi
02-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Hi Lester,

We've never had a problem getting temps up with the Visitherms, either. I thought it was only the Visitherm Dual Temps that wouldn't go higher. ???

Judi
:)

lkleung007
02-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Hi Judi and John,

Thanks for your input...I may just have to give Visitherm another try.

Has anyone tried the Silica Glass Power heater with controller from Drsfostersmith.com??

Lester

fcdiscus
02-02-2004, 07:05 PM
I have switched almost all my heaters to Visi Thems, because of alot of problems with the newer type ebos. Trouble only comes when I need to raise my temp to over 90. For this, I am ordering some Won Titanium heaters, or I use my old Green Ebos. Frank

Denny
02-02-2004, 08:24 PM
Old green ebo's ;)

peter_griffin
02-02-2004, 10:12 PM
I use old fashioned hang on the back Penn Plax heaters, and wouldn't trade them for any submersible heater. I've had these eversince I got into the hobby. IME they are durable, longlasting, and more accurate than people would guess. ;D