PDA

View Full Version : Can you sex my discus for me? =)

PanFish
02-03-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm soooo happy that they are doing their thing. (first time being a grandfather) ;D

I remember someone on here(simply) was able to tell just by looking at their finage and he/she was right most of the time. I can't seem to find that post but if anyone can give me any guesses, I would much appreciate.

Thanks Always Simply Members.

PanFish
02-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Oh and this one is the third wheel I think. I can see his sex organ but cant tell which it is. Thanks again.

PanFish
02-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Here is hi/her organ closeup, from above hope this helps you help me.

Thanks a bunch Simply.

fcdiscus
02-03-2004, 06:57 PM
I would say the first two are females and the last is a male. Frank

chinoz
02-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Im with Frank...first two are female, last is male.

PanFish
02-03-2004, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Small problem, the first two are the ones guarding the eggs. You can see the eggs in the picture on leaf. The second picture(alone by itself) is by itself and isn't able to get hear the eggs cuz other two are kickin azz if they get near it.

Any ideas?

fcdiscus
02-03-2004, 09:16 PM
It is not unusual for 2 young females to pair off for a few times, or longer. Or maybe they are a pair! Frank

PanFish
02-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks Frank.

I guess I don't understand why they are the only ones protecting the eggs. The eggs are fertilized and only saw one that was white in color. That leads me to assume that they are good eggs and the two are the parents.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something but I would figure since the one by itself isn't doing anything and isn't even getting hear the eggs that he's not involved.

I am thinking about moving them to a 20 gallon by themselves. That's why I need to know if they are indeed the pair and they are male and female. The angelfish are having their way with the eggs when the parents turn away to eat.... This is the first for me and I want to give them a fighting chance to have some babies.

02-03-2004, 09:28 PM
i think it was in a jack wattley book that he recounts the story of someone who thought they could tell the difference between the sex of discus. After allowing the visitor to tour and sex jack's fish the vistor was right on less than 50% of the tanks. Guessing would probably give the same results.

point is that time will tell and dont fall for all the crap about telling the differences between male and female discus.

PanFish
02-03-2004, 09:40 PM
I don't know about that story/instance but I'm talking about on Simply. Someone asked and people started replying. One guy said he was usually correct so a couple of people posted pictures and he was correct I think he got all of them right.

But I still don’t understand why it would be two females because they are not just pairing. They have laid eggs and all fertile but one that I saw. hmm....

Thanks again all!!

Carol_Roberts
02-04-2004, 01:12 AM
Eggs that are golden in color may be alive, but are not necessarily fertile. White eggs are dead eggs.

I've had a female all alone in a tank lay golden eggs that slowly one by one turned white as they died.

Many of us here have had a known male and female with golden eggs and the same result. The male has to make passes over the eggs, releasing milt and the water has to be soft enough for the eggs to hatch.

PanFish
02-04-2004, 04:52 AM
I understand....

So they are probably right when they said the first two fish were females. Even thought they were guarding the eggs and faning the eggs. They were also probably right about the second one being a male.

I guess I'll just put all four into a 20 gallon and see what happens and who I would pull out.

Thanks for all the advice and replies everyone.

FYI: all the eggs gone after a day, I think smaller angelfish ate them all because I saw one doing that this morning when the guards were eating.

crazy4discus
02-04-2004, 05:00 AM
my guesses are same as frank first 2 f and last m because first 2 looks smaller and the last one seems bigger to me but i dont know anything just my opinion

PanFish
02-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Great thanks again for all the replys. You guys/gals are awesome!