PDA

View Full Version : Many Questions for a Beginner (LONG)

rbcxpeter
02-07-2004, 03:43 PM
I have many questions about breeding Discus. First of all, I don't have any and I'm planning to go get some in the near future. I've been readng stuff in the library and stuff on the board as well. So far I've learned that gravel isn't necessary and shouldn't be used? Please clarify this for me. I'm confused. Secondly, daily 50% water changes are recommended but 50% water changes three times a week is also okay. I read somewhere that I shouldn't use carbon in the filters because it causes diseases? What about nitrite problems, how is this issue solved? Can I just go ahead and use Fluvals 3 and 1 that I already have? Is this enough filtration? I plan on using a 60 gallon tank. Also, is it okay to have other fish with Discus. Specifically speaking about the Black Ghost Knife. I've heard they're also delicate as well and ideal to keep with Discus. How can you tell their gender apart? What are some signs that I should look out for? How many of each should I get? I read 6-10 discus in a 55g tank is ideal. Are 3 males and 3 females okay? I plan on getting small ones, raise them, and then breed them. Thanks for your patience and your help. Please, any tips and suggestions are welcome. Don't hesitate. ;)

Carol_Roberts
02-07-2004, 04:02 PM
It's really hard to answer mulitple questions in a narative format, especially when they are on so many topics. You might get a better responce with a thread for each question in the appriopriate section. . . . .

So far I've learned that gravel isn't necessary and shouldn't be used? Please clarify this for me. I'm confused.
Food and feces get trapped in the gravel. It makes it hard to clean the tank. Don't use it

Secondly, daily 50% water changes are recommended yesbut 50% water changes three times a week is also okay. for adults

I read somewhere that I shouldn't use carbon in the filters because it causes diseases? No need for carbon with all the water chagnes. Carbon may release toxins back into the water when full

What about nitrite problems, how is this issue solved?good bacteria turn nitrIte into nitrAte which is removed by water changes

Can I just go ahead and use Fluvals 3 and 1 that I already have? I don't like them. They are hard to clean, so are not ceaned frequently enough. Bacteria dies quickly during power outages. I got rid of all mine. Aqua Clear's are just better and inexpensive too.

Is this enough filtration? I plan on using a 60 gallon tank.Use an aqua clear 500 on that size tank to grow out juveniles

Also, is it okay to have other fish with Discus. Specifically speaking about the Black Ghost Knife. I've heard they're also delicate as well and ideal to keep with Discus. I don't keep anything with discus but discus

How can you tell their gender apart? The females have a bigger breeding tube and lay eggs.

What are some signs that I should look out for? read the breeding section - just concentrate on growing them out now

How many of each should I get? I read 6-10 discus in a 55g tank is ideal. Yep

Are 3 males and 3 females okay? I plan on getting small ones, raise them, and then breed them. Yep, Good luck sexing them at that age, lol

rbcxpeter
02-07-2004, 04:52 PM
It's really hard to answer mulitple questions in a narative format, especially when they are on so many topics. You might get a better responce with a thread for each question in the appriopriate section. . . . .

So far I've learned that gravel isn't necessary and shouldn't be used? Please clarify this for me. I'm confused.
Food and feces get trapped in the gravel. It makes it hard to clean the tank. Don't use it

Secondly, daily 50% water changes are recommended yesbut 50% water changes three times a week is also okay. for adults

I read somewhere that I shouldn't use carbon in the filters because it causes diseases? No need for carbon with all the water chagnes. Carbon may release toxins back into the water when full

What about nitrite problems, how is this issue solved?good bacteria turn nitrIte into nitrAte which is removed by water changes

Can I just go ahead and use Fluvals 3 and 1 that I already have? I don't like them. They are hard to clean, so are not ceaned frequently enough. Bacteria dies quickly during power outages. I got rid of all mine. Aqua Clear's are just better and inexpensive too.

Is this enough filtration? I plan on using a 60 gallon tank.Use an aqua clear 500 on that size tank to grow out juveniles

Also, is it okay to have other fish with Discus. Specifically speaking about the Black Ghost Knife. I've heard they're also delicate as well and ideal to keep with Discus. I don't keep anything with discus but discus

How can you tell their gender apart? The females have a bigger breeding tube and lay eggs.

What are some signs that I should look out for? read the breeding section - just concentrate on growing them out now

How many of each should I get? I read 6-10 discus in a 55g tank is ideal. Yep

Are 3 males and 3 females okay? I plan on getting small ones, raise them, and then breed them. Yep, Good luck sexing them at that age, lol

thanx for the replies. How much does an aquaclear 500 cost? It's an external filter right? I have an aquaclear mini which is for a 10g tank. I'll probably use this with the 500 too (if it fits). Females and breeding tube? I'm thinking that their breeding tube isn't visible. I'm asking about designs on the "skin" or any visible signs. How can I tell them apart so that when I go out and buy them, I don't get 6 males. And are plants necessary? If not then, I'm planning to have a big empty box of water with discus. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it very much.

MonkeeFish
02-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Ac500 cost 30 buckz on Bigalsonline.com, if your buying 6 discus im pretty sure u'll get females and males. Since you are breeding u dont really need plants i believe. so juss a empty tank with water and discus not very pretty but eh : /

Carol_Roberts
02-07-2004, 07:49 PM
A big, empty box of water is perfect!
An aqua clear 500 is less than $35.00 on line
I can't tell juvenile males from females. Get 6 and chances are you'll get a pair. ;D

Fish Addict
02-08-2004, 12:30 AM
If you are thinking about buying more than 1 filter...petco.com is the place...

20 % off of any order over $ 40.00

2 AquaClear 500 + tax + shipping = $ 63.23

1 AC 500 + Hax-A-Mit (10 cap.) + tax + shipping = $ 40.96

check it out and decide........good luck

rbcxpeter
02-10-2004, 01:55 AM
thanx for all the info people. And thanx for making it simple and easy and referring me to a lot of cheap places that sell the proper filters. Just one more question, wat's a Hax-A-Mit?

Carol_Roberts
02-10-2004, 02:07 AM
Hex-A-Mit is a brand name for metronidazole a common medication for discus with intestinal flagellates.

jaydoc
02-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Carol, I just found a picture on simplydiscus.com of your red turq./yellow pigeon pair that is a great example of how nice a bare bottom tank can look with nice adult discus. It is in the raising fry section. Also tank is CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! that yellow is very cool.

Carol_Roberts
02-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Thanks, the website is great - everybody should look through it. (click on the blue simplydiscus logo at the top left of this page)

Wahter
02-10-2004, 11:59 PM
rbcxpeter - in case you are wondering why people typically suggest getting at least six discus two reasons are:

1.) juvenile discus can be a bit aggressive and chase each other around; having at least six ensures that the chasing gets spread around a bit.

2.) you can almost bet you'll have at least one male and one female in the group - my friend with a degree in statistics once told me because there are only 2 choices (male and female), when you calculate the percentages of chance, you're wayyy into the 94-96% chances of having at least one male and at least one female in a group of six. She actually calculated the percentiles in her head while driving me around one day! :o