02-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Any one in Orange County NY keeping Discus

wildthing
02-07-2004, 11:11 PM
I'm in Sullivan county
:)

KD
02-08-2004, 12:02 AM
I am new at this board. I am looking for suggestions on water treatment with hard water and High alkalinity, I use a water softner but hear that they should be by passed so I took a test strip on my well water, like I thought I have high alkalinity and hard water. Any suggestions on how to treat this? I've raised Wattleys and store boughts in NY city water (Wound up with a breeding pair)before but this is all new to me this well water.

KD
02-08-2004, 10:03 AM
On a test strip the hardness is between 150 and 300 mark, the PH is comning up between 7.8 & 8.4 and the alkalinity is 180 +, I am going to take a water sample to the pet store and see what their test comes up with. Are house water softners bad for the Discus?
Thanks for responding!

Carol_Roberts
02-08-2004, 11:13 AM
Whole house water softeners are not good for discus. Too much salt in the water (salt replaces the minerals).

Your water is probably close to mine. Good enough to grow out juveniles, but too hard for breeders. My GH is 12 and pH is 7.8

KD
02-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Thanks Carol!!
I will not use the water softner.
What kind of test kits would you recommend to get GH & KH? Can I do that myself or do I have to use a pet shop? Also, what do you suggest for breeders, I hope to get lucky in the future with a pair but have a long way to go.

Carol_Roberts
02-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Aquarium Pharmceuticals has a GH/KH kit that is easy to use. Buy healthy discus from a reputable source in a color that you like.

KD
02-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Carol, Thank you very much!!
So far I am looking at Cary & Wattley and doing more research on others. I'd like to buy from several breeders so I don't have brothers & sisters.
How do you treat you water for breeders? Someone suggested Muratic Acid (the pool type) adding this to a 30 Gal garbage pail.
Your help is much appreciated!!

fshngal
02-08-2004, 12:06 PM
KD,

I have tried the muriatic acid in my earlier days and did not like using such a harsh chemical, remember this is an acid that is added to pools. Therefore, I would not recommend this method.

You really may want to invest in an RO system(Randal is the best source), or try peat to soften your water. These two alternatives will serve you much better in the long run.

Fshngal

Carol_Roberts
02-08-2004, 12:07 PM
RO (reverse osmossis) water is used for breeders. I have to remove minerals for the eggs to hatch. They breed in pH 7.6

KD
02-08-2004, 12:24 PM
When using an RO - do you add any thing back into the water, I have heard something about that?

fshngal
02-08-2004, 01:13 PM
KD,

Take a look at the Water Works Section of the forum. There is plenty of info available there on Reverse Osmosis. Get out your reading glasses :)

Fshngal

KD
02-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Thank You!!!
I will look for that.