PDA

View Full Version : Amazon sword

knewby
02-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Is Echinodorus bleheri the same as Echinodorus amazonicus?

Discusgeo
02-08-2004, 09:26 PM
No but close.

Echinodorus amazonicus
COMMON NAME: Amazon Sword Plant
SYN: Echinodorus brevipedicellatus
FAMILY: Alismataceae
RANGE: South America; Brazil
AQUASCAPE: Middleground, specimen plant
HEIGHT: To 16" (40 cm)
Aquarium Height: AH: From 18" (45 cm)
LIGHT: moderate
WATER: pH: 6.3-7.2; 2-10 dH; 73-82°F (23-28°C)
SUBSTRATE: Nutrient rich, fine gravel.
P: Adventitious shoots.
REMARKS: Needs frequent thining.
DC: 5
:o
Echinodorus bleheri
COMMON NAME: Broad-leafed Amazon Sword Plant
SYN: Echinodorus paniculatus, E. ranyeri
FAMILY: Alismataceae
RANGE: Tropical South America
AQUASCAPE: Background specimen plant.
HEIGHT: To 20" (50 cm)
AH: From 20" (50 cm)
LIGHT: moderate to bright
WATER: pH: 6.2-7.5; 2-15 dH; 72-84°F (22-29°C)
SUBSTRATE: Nutrient rich, preferably clay.
P: adventitious shoots
REMARKS: A hardy, common species.
DC:4 (difficulty of care)

DC: 3-4 = indicates that the described plant species is robust, but slightly more difficult to grow than 1-2 rated species. These species are fussier about water conditions, lighting, and substrate, though they can be still recommended to the aquariast with some experience. These species often reproduce with little trouble. These species may need additives to enhance growth.

DC: 5-6 = indicates that the described plant species require a substantial amount of care. These species require water conditions within a specific perimeter and may need very bright lighting. These species may require a certain type of substrate and usually need regular fertilization to prosper. These species may be difficult to propagate and may be susceptible to disease. Some species may be bog plants that do best when given "dry time," where they are allowed to grow out of water for a period. These plants are recommenced for experienced aquariasts.

All this information I borrowed from
http://www.mongabay.com/fish/

knewby
02-09-2004, 02:21 AM
Thanks! It sounds like amazonicus is harder to take care of,but I think it looks bettter than bleheri.

knewby
02-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Does anyone know of an online dealer that sells Echinodorus amazonicus and major? At an affordable price and great quality, too.

Wahter
02-09-2004, 04:33 PM
Are you considering these plants for your 40 gallon tank that you said you're going bare bottom?

Both echinodorus amazonicus and bleheri look very similar. According to Kasselmann's books, one of the differences is that bleheri rarely sends out runners with the plantlets on them whereas amazonicus does.

All three of these plants can grow very large - around 60cm / 2' tall. I've had a few echinodorus amazonicus read the top of a 50 gallon tank (18").

As for sources, most aquarium stores stock amazon swords (even Petsmart, Petco, etc...) and sometimes they get in echinodorus major (also known as e. martii). You can also try some of the plant sellers on aquabid.com.

knewby
02-09-2004, 09:02 PM
Thanks, I do have a barebottom, but I plan to grow them in pots. Do they do better in pots than in loose gravel?

Wahter
02-09-2004, 10:49 PM
They will do fine in pots.

knewby
02-09-2004, 11:54 PM
That's good news! ;D ;D ;D