PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Pics

stygian7
02-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Here are a couple of pics of my setup. Still have lots of work to do, but I need to figure out how to beat the algae first. This is right after a cleaning a couple of months ago. Most of the fish are from Cary at GLD. Plan to get some more tetras, SAEs and some shrimp, just don't have time to deal with quarantines right now. Still got my eye on a taller acrylic tank.

stygian7
02-10-2004, 06:00 PM
Here's another one.

ChloroPhil
02-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Looking good for a starter aquascape. I'm glad to see you placed those Vallisneria so far from eachother, they're going to create some awesome shade for your fish. I'm sure everyone's going to appreciate the open space along with the good patches of vertical foliage. Nice compromise between tasteful aquascaping and the needs of your fish.

Keep us updated!

Best,
Phil

jules
02-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Tank looks nice - easier to clean lightly planted.
Your Discus is the nicest shade of blue. 8)

Mattzilla
02-12-2004, 05:44 AM
nice looking set up

matt

Don_Lee
02-13-2004, 01:08 AM
Very nice!

stygian7
02-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the encouragement; the plants get a little frustrating sometimes. I used to have plastic plants...that was easy. Now I'm constantly battling algae. Hopefully I'll get the nutrient imbalance figured out before too long. I did notice that the discus seemed much happier and their colors brighter with the real plants. I guess they like having the extra hiding places just in case.
The light in the middle is a 10,000K Aqualine bulb; the two on the sides are 5,000K bulbs by hamilton. The two 5K bulbs are about dead in the photo and have since been replaced by 6,500K coralvue bulbs. Anyway, the blue discus looks extra blue from the middle light. Also, he's from Cary at GLD, so he looks good anyway.

stir-fry
02-13-2004, 05:55 PM
You have an awful lot of light for such a small amount of plants..
how many gallons is your tank?

how long per day is the photoperiod?

you might just need a few more fast growing plants (ie, any kind of hygro) to soak up some of the nutrients..

are you using co2 ?

luke_potts
02-15-2004, 07:51 AM
very nice!!!!
keep us updated please

cheers
luke

keith_cny
02-15-2004, 09:27 AM
HI Stygian,

Really nice looking tank. What is that blue? A bd or BDSS?? How long ago did you get it from Cary?

Thanks

Keith

stygian7
02-15-2004, 03:52 PM
You have an awful lot of light for such a small amount of plants..
how many gallons is your tank?

how long per day is the photoperiod?

you might just need a few more fast growing plants (ie, any kind of hygro) to soak up some of the nutrients..

are you using co2 ?

The tank is a 125 gallon. Lighting 3-175 MH, 10 hour artificial photoperiod. They do get some indirect light in the morning, but the lamps don't come on until around 2 pm. I have it set up this way because I'm only home late at night during the weekdays as I am a student. It would probably be better to start and end the lamps more on cycle with the daylight, but I want to be able to enjoy my fish.
The pic is right after a heavy cleaning/trimming. I think the plant in the midddle is a hygro? Anyway, it grows extreemly fast and had more or less taken over the tank. I removed a lot of it as it was covered in algae.
I am using CO2 set up on a Milwaukee pH controller. Currently, the tank is set up on a constant drip water changer (~30-40 gallons per day). Originally, I thought that the micronutrients would be replaced this way. Now I'm thinking maybe the carbon block is stripping those along with the chlorine. I've been adding KNO3, but just ordered some trace element mix and K2SO4. I'm hoping this will help.

stygian7
02-15-2004, 03:54 PM
HI Stygian,

Really nice looking tank. What is that blue? A bd or BDSS?? How long ago did you get it from Cary?

Thanks

Keith

The blue is a blue diamond. I got it from Cary in September or October 2003.