PDA

View Full Version : Water Change Temp

ramblin101
02-11-2004, 01:23 PM
When I make water changes inevitably the water temp in the tanks change. I keep my water storage outside. I heat it, aerate it but because they are outside the temps don't reach their temp on the water heaters. I live in So. Calif. so it doesn't get to freezing levels generally. I keep my tanks around 86 or 87F. After W/C it's around 83 or 84F . I've read that the water temp from the storage should be close or just under the temp in the tanks. Is there a medium? What effect if any does it stress out the fish? Anybody out there have the same challenge? I don't want to give my discus the "cold shower treatment'' everytime I do W/C. Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.

Ed

Tad
02-11-2004, 03:30 PM
ramblin,
Your temp differential IMO is not that significant to cause a problem...Remember some breeders "cold shower" their pairs in an attempt to induce spawning...I believe you can use some of the commercial grade insulation available at your home improvement stores, and insulate your holding tanks and this might help you get closer to your target temps. You also might consider keeping your discus tanks at around 85 and this will lessen the differential also. Discus do fine at that temp JMO.

HTH,
Tad

Carol_Roberts
02-11-2004, 03:40 PM
A 2 or 3 degree drop is OK for juveniles - I wouldn't do more than that on a daily basis. Perhaps you could add some very hot water to the storage barrel shortly before the water change. Enough to raise the temp without altering the pH too much.

ramblin101
02-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Tad and Carol,

Thank you for the suggestions and advice.

Ed

discus_nw
02-11-2004, 05:39 PM
I agree with Tad's thought about lowering the temperature. 86-87F for a normal temp is too high. 83-84 is sufficient, even for younger discus.

alex_m
02-12-2004, 01:25 PM
agree with Tad's thought about lowering the temperature. 86-87F for a normal temp is too high. 83-84 is sufficient, even for younger discus.

IMO juvenile discus grow better in higher temp.

IMO 83-84 is a minimum, 86-88 is good

alex

discus_nw
02-19-2004, 12:53 AM
Why? :)