PDA

View Full Version : fluval 404 questions

ladyram
02-11-2004, 07:22 PM
I have a new Fluval 404 I received and I am using, 真can somebody explain me in detail what should I use stage by stage?? now I have cannisters but if I get rid of carbon that I don't need 真with what exactly can I replace it??

Can someone tell me:

bottom - use this
second stage - that
and so on

Thankssssssssss

Carol_Roberts
02-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Actually you can just fill the whole thing with sponges or with bioballs. Sponges are easiest to rinse out. I cut them to fit the compartments back when I used Fluvals. Now I just use aqua Clears

ladyram
02-11-2004, 07:56 PM
I love aquaclears and have one in my main tank too with a prefilter, soooo easy to clean!!!!

Fluval on the other hand is heavy, at least for me, and cleaning it is a titanic labor, I am using it just cos it was a present from my husband and he is very excited with this filter, but to be very honest, Aquaclears and sponges is what I prefer!!!

Tony
02-12-2004, 02:19 AM
I only have exp with 304.
but I tend to
bottom: floss (to keep the noodle clean)
middle: ceramic noodle
upper: ceramic noodle.

when in doubts get the el cheapo aquarium floss.... You can buy fluval's ceramic noodle or another brand bio ball or noodle.

(I used to keep a bag of peat at the bottom and swap it monthly, middle is floss and upper is noodle)...

M0oN
02-12-2004, 02:24 AM
What Tony said, just put some pre-filter/coarse filter at the bottom of the canister and add biological media to the other compartments.

You should have your husband check out eheim canister's if he's excited about fluval's.

Make sure you watch that fluval too, I've had a couple of them spring a leak on me. Years ago though, so maybe they've improved.