PDA

View Full Version : Shy Fish

realbetta
02-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi Carol;
Thank for all your help. I have my fish 3 weeks now they are fine but they still shy from me, when they see me they run hide in corner, not swimming around calmly. My fish room have dim light and when I come in I turn on more some more light, don't know if that is problem.
Please advice

Carol_Roberts
02-14-2004, 11:46 PM
It could be a lot of different things. It could be the light or maybe they just don't feel secure yet. Do they swim in the middle of the tank when they can't see you?

realbetta
02-14-2004, 11:59 PM
when I feed them they swim normaly ,but after that they go back to their corner. when they dont know i am there they swim fine. :thumbsdown:

Carol_Roberts
02-15-2004, 12:18 AM
Feed them a little bit everytime you come in to the room. Soon they will run to the front of the tank everytime they see you. ;D

GoodMike
02-15-2004, 12:36 AM
When you feed your fish, put your face up to the tank as they eat, they get to know you fast.

RyanH
02-15-2004, 12:46 AM
Do you have any windows in the room that face the tank? I have had tanks that have faced windows and when I walk into the room my fish couldn't see me, they could only see my shadow. That seemed to absolutely freak them out. Even if I had the blinds shut they didn't like it at all. After I moved the tank against the opposite wall they quickly warmed up to me. They just do not like shadoows for some reason.

M0oN
02-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Had the same problem with my discus, just took time for em' to get used to me. Now they seem to be so fearless that they're even aggressive towards me at times...give it a month or two.

realbetta
02-15-2004, 11:39 AM
I forgot to say my 55 tank is put only 1 feet off the ground, maybe they are not use to see people like that. Hope they will get better, otherwise they are no fun like this.

ping
02-15-2004, 11:49 AM
1 feet of the ground, that's too low. Just need time to make them get used to it.
Make sure that all your discus eat. :)

M0oN
02-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Fish don't like seeing shadows above their tank, most predators come from this angle in nature.

I'd suggest investing a small amount into a metal frame from somewhree like drsfostersmith.com it should make their behavior improve after some time on it.

realbetta
02-15-2004, 05:42 PM
You are definitely right. Thanks

DonnaMite
02-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Yep - I agree -- get that tank off the ground! :) I set up a 29 gal once at knee height-- they didn't like it at all!

When my stepson comes to visit, he always flies right past the tank, his big old size 13 shoes clomping around -- the fish SCATTER.

When I get new fish, I'll sit in front of the tank at eye level with them, talk with them , flip 'em a little food now & then. That gets them used to the sound of my voice, associating me with yummy things, etc.

Worked for me anyway!
Good Luck!
Donna