PDA

View Full Version : Alterntives to Stone Creations from Rustoleum

FischAutoTechGarten
02-14-2004, 11:43 PM
Folks,
I've been using Stone Creations from Rustoleum on my breeder tanks. I've spray painted the sky blue Dow 1/2" Foam insulation that is on the sides and bottom of the tank. I did the sides in Green Marble and the bottom in Pebble.

Unfortunately, this stuff does not go very far (only available in 12oz cans). I was barely able to do 1 29gallon tank aquarium for the sides (1 16 1/2" X 30" & 2 16 1/2" X 12" pieces)...naturally the bottom stretches a bit farther (1 12"X 30" piece).

Does anyone know an alternative to the 12oz cans? I like the look, but 2 cans for each aquarium can get quite expensive.

Denny
02-15-2004, 11:13 AM
You can buy it in larger quantities at a sherwin williams store under the name multi-speck or multi-fleck. It comes in one gallon and 5 gallon sizes for about 50 bucks a gallon. You need an air compressor and a gun to shoot it on and make sure to get a tip that allows you to spatter paint.

If you do not have or want to invest in the spray equipment or cannot borrow it, I think you are pretty much stuck with the cans

FischAutoTechGarten
02-15-2004, 07:18 PM
I've got the equipment. Thanks Denny. If I go forward the tanks on the hobby hatchery, this is the way I will do it.

FischAutoTechGarten
02-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Folks,
I've decided painting the insulation and putting it against the glass looks poor. I had to cut the insulation around the Hang on box filters..looks bad.

Next time I'll paint the glass directly and just put the insulation against that. I'll take picture later.

korbi_doc
02-16-2004, 08:52 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hey Peter, lucky you have the equipment to do that, & if you have lotsa tanks to do that's a great option. I did use the spray cans right on the glass which I think is better. When I found that the spray didn't go far enough, was lucky to have some enamel paint left over from other projects just a tad darker than the sprays. Brushed these on & they kind of make a background color which was perfect, looked complete & really good. You just need to cover the back & bottom thinly. I would plan to do it this way if I ever have another tank to do, which I don't plan on, lol Dottie, 8)

Mr. Limpet
02-16-2004, 11:12 PM
After using this paint and trying to get full coverage, I have to agree with Dottie that you can get away with a light coating and then back it up with an inexpensive enamal paint. Once the the glass has the speckled texturing on it, any thing behind it is just background. You might be able to come up with some intersesting shading effects by using different background colors. Hmmm, next tank i'll have to experiment some. Good luck. I haven't heard of anyone who was unhappy with this look yet. Paul.

Harriett
02-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Could someone take a picture of what this looks like?
Best regards,
Harriett

jaydoc
02-17-2004, 12:26 PM
The can says you need a sealer coat if exposed to water so a background color painted over the stone creations fleck has two purposes. I did one tank in white and one tank in green. They both look good. I suppose personal preference is in order. The darker one though might make peppering in pidgeon based fish more noticeable. I will try to post a picture later if possible.

Very Fishy
02-25-2004, 04:23 PM
Harriett,

here is a link that shows some pictures of what it looks like...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=13643

FischAutoTechGarten
02-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Harriet,
Here is a picture of the green marble background. This is painted on the foam, not the glass.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//attachments/FourNiceRedTurqs.JPG

I have water trapped between the glass and foam of the bottom, so you're only getting a reflection and can't see the sandstone. So no photo of it. If I had painted on the glass, this wouldn't have happend.