PDA

View Full Version : Discus color change

dmacch
02-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Is it normal for discus to go from light to dark on a regular basis? My discus are in a 55 gal bb tank, daily water changes of 50% fed 4 5 times a day. Biggest fish is about 3 - 3.5 inches. They eat good but seem to be dark as much as they a light in color. I've only had them a month, could it just be that they have to get use to the surroundings? Thanks

Dom

bikhu
02-16-2004, 10:54 AM
HI Dom,
Color Morphing is quite normal in Discus. Some strains morph more dramatically than others. I notice that especially dramatically with my wilds that morph from no mood bars to profound mood bars... from very light shades to very intense shades and everything in between. My domestic Blues on the other hand morph very little...
Most importantly be sure that your water parameters are healthy, that the filters are working efficiently. When you do your WC be sure that you are not causing any dramatic swings as this will surely stress the fish out. Look for clear bright eyes and appetite...
HTH good luck!
peter

dmacch
02-16-2004, 11:27 AM
bikhu,
Thanks for the response. Is the morphing prevelant in juvis or is it something they do throughout their lives? Thanks

Dom

Carol_Roberts
02-16-2004, 01:11 PM
They change color or show the vertical stripes for many reasons . . . excitement, stress, food, breeding, illness . . .

stir-fry
02-16-2004, 02:08 PM
This is a quite normal attribute in all fish, and not just discus.
My barbs were always a dark grey colour in the mornings or when I had my hands in there re-arranging plants.

alex_m
02-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Hi,

IMO juvenile discus change color more often than adults.

IMO blue fish change color quite often.

alex

bikhu
02-16-2004, 06:45 PM
Interesting Alex...
MY Blue Diamond and Cobalt are very consistent. The Cobalt at times shows hints of mood bars but colorwise is very consistent.