PDA

View Full Version : Water change using the kitchen sink

Carol_Roberts
02-18-2004, 12:05 AM
What could be easier than draining your tank into the kitchen sink?

Carol_Roberts
02-18-2004, 12:06 AM
Aged water is pumped from the barrel right back into the tank

Carol_Roberts
02-18-2004, 12:07 AM
I sit at the computer and answer questions on simplyDiscus while the tank refills

KARINA
02-18-2004, 12:08 AM
Carol i don't see the python conected to the faucet ;D but that's exactly how i do it :D

Carol_Roberts
02-18-2004, 12:08 AM
The hose is attached to the sink to refill the water barrel for tomorrow

Carol_Roberts
02-18-2004, 12:10 AM
My water need to agitate like this for about three hours to offgas the CO2 and stabilize the pH. See the plastic clamp holding the hose in place?

KARINA
02-18-2004, 12:15 AM
yes i imagine it was when the water was drained from the tank just looked funny on the first pic coz it wasn't at the time when you took the pic now i know every step of your water changes Carol :D

KARINA
02-18-2004, 12:16 AM
Carol how big is the tank on the pic?

Carol_Roberts
02-18-2004, 12:31 AM
55 - 60 gallons, built to fit the counter

Roblue
02-19-2004, 05:32 AM
I was going to ask if the tank was custom built, because it fits the counter perfectly. Is that a dishwasher underneath? Does the washing cycle disturb the discus?

Carol_Roberts
02-19-2004, 11:13 AM
I don't use the dishwasher. There is just the two of us now. When I redo the kitchen I'll have my water storage there ;D

elpaninaro
02-20-2004, 12:47 AM
Hi Carol,

Quick question- when you agitate the water is that permanent? In other words, if I were to agitate a tank of water on Saturday to get it ready for water changes the following week- is that all I need? Or will I need to do that agitation daily to keep the water up to par?

Thanks for all the pics and the help!

Tom.

MonkeeFish
02-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Hmm juss curious but im thinking of doing something much much more easier and simple. if i were to keep a tube connected to the hot water line at all time using PVC would the hot water like some how messed up the PVC???

Carol_Roberts
02-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Agitation releases the carbon dioxide. (The water does not reabsorb the CO2.) Once the pH is stable is stays that way. You don't want to store water for a week. It will grow bacteria. Just make enough for a day or two.

iceman_373
02-22-2004, 08:37 AM
hot water will not mess up pvc~!

Big Brian
02-22-2004, 11:44 PM
This all sounds so very simple.
What is the Ph values of the tap water in your area?
Surely you must have to alter the parameters in some way other than just agitate it for 24 hours prior to use.
Do you use a water conditioner at all?
The water in my area has a ph value of 7.5 which obviously isn't good for discus.
In what way should my water be treated before it is suitable for the discus aquarium.Any help with these questions would be very much appreciated.

MonkeeFish
02-23-2004, 12:18 AM
dechlorinator!!!!

Carol_Roberts
02-23-2004, 01:38 AM
I have a well, so no chlorine. My moderately hard water is under pressure. It comes out of the tap at 6.8 and after 3 hours of agitation to off gas the carbon dioxide (acid) the pH rises and stabilizes at 7.8. My discus are all swimming in pH 7.8

Discus do best when the pH to be stable. Better a higher pH than messsing with chemicals and having the pH swing back and forth

If I had chlorine in my water I would add a dechlor product.

Buy a GH/KH test kit to see if your water is hard or soft. Use your pH test kit to check your water directly from the tap and test a cup of water that has set on the counter overnight to see how your pH behaves.

Big Brian
02-23-2004, 02:08 AM
That proves that there are many ways to skin a cat. Most articles you read would suggest that a ph of 7.8 is completely unsuitable for discus. a figure of 6 to 6.5 being suggested as a more common figure especially for breeding. But as your pictures prove the discus you have are in a beautiful condition. It would appear obvious that stability is a much more important factor than any particular chemical criteria.

RandalB
02-23-2004, 02:25 AM
Welcome BB,

Most articles you read are no longer considered accurate. My fish are also all in 7.8. I have municipally treated water so I don't have the same co2 problems as Carol. I just fill my tanks from the faucet with a squirt of Dechlor.

Check the water works and beginner sections for more info on pH.

RandalB

April
02-23-2004, 02:56 AM
Carol that reminds me of when i lived at the shop.i had a 60 gallon on the counter by the sink and a 90 by the stove..and another one where the kitchen table shouldve been. it was a fishroom with a sink and stove .
good post.
there are however...some family members who may balk at draining fishwater into the kitchen sink. lol.

ronrca
03-02-2004, 11:56 AM
I use to drain/fill in the kitchen sink all the time until I figured out that if I drain into the bathtub, I dont have to leave the water running to create the siphon on the python (similar to Carol). ;) The height difference is enough to create a good suction that I can clean my 90G planted tank.

Carol_Roberts
03-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Look back at the first picture John - I don't have any water running. It may empty a little slower than the tanks I have draining in the bath tub, but it works just fine without wasting any tap water. I just use the python hoses, I don't bother with the green faucet adapter thingy ;D

LEM504
03-02-2004, 02:09 PM
What we have here, is ownership of property! Carol has domain over the kitchen, and the house!
Unfortunately, my wife makes the same claims, and is not as interested in fish as I.
There are a couple of places in the house, where I can drink beer and cuss, but not the kitchen or bathrooms! I had to buy her a car, to claim a small spot in the living room for a show tank.
About the time she discovered a barrel in the kitchen, the Red Cross would run short of type “O” blood!
Looks like I will have to live with the loooonnnnggg hoses!
I like the looks of my barrel! If I had flowers painted on it, do you think she would see the beauty of it?
:( :(

Larry

Milleruszk
03-02-2004, 09:43 PM
Carol,

What make/model pump do you use to pump the water from your storage barrel to your tanks? I am going to have to get one. Thanks!

Tom

Carol_Roberts
03-03-2004, 01:58 AM
My pumps are mostly from Walmart or Home Depot - medium or large pond pumps.

03-17-2004, 10:25 AM
My wife would just kill me if I had tanks around the house, we just had the kitchen and bathrooms redone and I'm lucky I have the basement to raise my discus. I am not into breeding, just enjoying the beauty of these fish. I change out enough water each day to clean the bottom of the tank, and use a python syphon to clean and then refill the tanks. I am also lucky in that my local water is very good out of the tap, no chlorine or other additives ph around 7.2 and soft. I also should admit I have little time with work and the kids, (read as lazy) and could not imagine jumping through all the hops some of you devoted keepers do with either the water regimine, or beefheart preparation. The fact is, these are very tricky fish to keep and if you develop a way to do it sucessfully, do it.

LEM504
03-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately we don’t all have basements! Sounds like you have the best of two worlds!

Where did you get the idea, that any of us were playing with a full deck of cards?
It has been my goal to spawn and raise Discus for over 35 years. Why? Success always seemed to elude me! I’m getting closer! Have fry feeding off the backs at the moment.
This will make the fourth or fifth time, I have made it this far. Have fingers and toes crossed, and the hose in one hand.

If every thing works, I have no idea what I will do with the young ones! The local fish stores won’t touch them with a 10 foot pole, because they kill Discus as fast as they un-pack them. If I give them away, I might find two to three local victims, who will also kill them.

Bottom line? Must be the challenge, or some sort of mental defect!
Just a question of priorities and how far the wife will let you go, before she calls the padded wagon.

Jump in! Normal people are boring!

Larry

03-17-2004, 02:16 PM
LEM504,

you are right, I am lucky enough to have a basement, many houses do not to say nothing of apartments. And I must admit that while I totally enjoy the discus hobby, I must to do all the cleaning and feeding, I am not at the level of devotion of the fanatics here. I totally admire and respect the love and caring that you discus nuts show for your spawn, I just wonder aloud sometimes if there just isn't an easier and just as successful way (alas, appearently not). Time and success have proven to me you can do it the hard way and be successful, or don't and take your chances. All a matter of choice, and you devoted enthusiasts all have my utmost respect :)

Ardan
11-13-2004, 10:15 PM
Pics ?? Please if you have them :)

Carol_Roberts
11-14-2004, 12:25 AM
I found all the pictures :p

Ardan
11-14-2004, 12:40 AM
:cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks Carol! It helps many :)