PDA

View Full Version : Culls and Duds

LEM504
02-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Culls and Duds.
Don’t be in a hurry to write off those, not so perfect fish.
A couple of years ago, I picked up a Pigeon Blood at the local fish store, just to save him from a slow death. It had been through hell a couple of times. Conformation was very bad, and it was stunted from neglect. Wife fell in love with it, and every time I tried to give it away, the fight started. Looks like it will attend my funeral.
It is worthless as a breeder - just not interested - but he is always the first to breakfast, if something else spawns in the tank.
I developed a mental block, and he was just one of those things I didn’t look at, unless he was eating eggs.

A few days ago, I picked up a few fish from Carol. I didn’t see a single fish in her tanks that was short of perfect! Of course, the wife grabbed another Pigeon Blood to go with our cull.

Low and behold, when it came time to see how they were settling in, I discovered I could only tell them apart by slight coloration in the fins. My cull had filled out, and had become a respectable fish! I’m sure he is sterile from, who knows what kind of chemicals, they dumped on him, but he is a keeper!

Looks like the wife and I will have to find something else to fight over -

Give them a little time - tender loving care pay’s off -

Larry

Carol_Roberts
02-19-2004, 05:28 PM
That little blue panda is a female - maybe they will fall in love :love: After she has settled in try putting them in their own 29 gallon bare bottom

DonnaMite
02-19-2004, 10:23 PM
OK Larry,
It's not fair.
YOu can't just tell us something like that & not include a picture of them!

LOL

Donna ;D

LEM504
02-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Donna,
Going to wimp out on this one.
Number one - my pictures are lousey.
Number two - they are in a community tank and I have a young pair sittin' eggs in that tank. I'm already in trouble with the wife for not moving the young pair in time. She doesn't know that they don't have a chance, but if I get caught upsetting them - I'll be sleeping in the back yard!

I think the young pair are at least going to save them for the hatch ;D

Larry