PDA

View Full Version : New guy says hello...

Dane
02-24-2004, 05:17 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself. Some of you may remember me from many years ago on the Discus Breeders Web Site. I also had a web site that is now long gone Discusfarm.com

I operated a Discus hatchery successfully for two years. I sold the hatchery due to water problems from my well. I did much research on Discus disease using a Nikon microscope, some great text books "Fish Medicine" by Stoskopf and "Fish Disease - Diagnosis and Treatment" by Noga and colaboration with UC Davis in correctly identifying pathogens causing disease in my Discus.

I thought the Discus bug was gone forever when I sold the hatchery, but like many Discus diseases, the bug to again keep Discus has come back. Maybe not enough water changes (showers) ? :)

No breeding this time, I am currently prepairing a 90 gallon show tank for a school of some of the amazingly beautiful Discus comming out of Asia.

I will be challenging some of you about your beliefs and practices treating Discus disease and hope we can have intelligent and helpfull discussions. Let me state now that I have huge respect for anyone who has kept discus for more than a year. I just believe there is a lot of bad advice that is given by good people.

I thank the keepers of this web site for their hard work in maintaining such an extensive site. How do you have time to do water changes? :)

Sincerely,

Dane

Discus_KC
02-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Welcome back Dane !!!!!!

Jack

Carol_Roberts
02-24-2004, 06:19 PM
Trying to diagnose and recomend treatment over the internet is difficult at best. The disease board is a place where we can really try to help our fellow hobbyists whose fish are in trouble and facing disaster. Sometimes we can accurately diagnose the problem and remedy. Sometimes we can only offer sympathy.

Alan
02-24-2004, 06:32 PM
Hi Dane,

Which department/branch of UC Davis did you collaborate with? I'm having some problems with one tank. I treated with metronidazole, prazi, and quick cure already but the fish is still sick. I'm ready to "donate" the sick BD so I can treat the tank properly. I called UC Irvine (the UC that's closest where I live), Bio Sci Vivarium, and they said they don't do that there. Could you let me know the UC Irvine counterpart of the UC Davis department you collaborated with? It would be very much appreciated.

Alan

Dkarc@Aol.com
02-24-2004, 06:32 PM
Glad to have you on Simply! ;D

-Ryan

DiscusDawg
02-24-2004, 06:59 PM
Glad you are back!!! ;D

keith_cny
02-24-2004, 11:18 PM
Welcome Dane!

Good luck with your tank(s)

Well problems??? That sounds familiar...If it's not too much to ask, would you mind PM'ing me and relate to me your experience with the well. I to have recently struggled with a well problem. Think I am over it but would like to hear your experience if you are willing to share.

Thanks,

Keith