PDA

View Full Version : Heater Help!!

Smooth
03-01-2004, 06:53 PM
I need to purchase I heater for my new 108 gallon tank I just bought today :D

I have heard lots of controvery over heaters, and I want to get as many opinions as I can about which heater is the best. My options are either an EBO jager, or a Tronic. I've heard talk about a blue top ebo vs a green top, and I'm not positive which I would be purchasing if it really does make a difference.

As well, what wattage should I get?? I'm thinking I'm going to need 2 for the tank and 1 for my water storage, but if I could get away with one for the tank that would be nice.

Thank you!!

Don_Lee
03-01-2004, 10:15 PM
It seems that all of the heaters have some issues, I would tend to go with a Marineland, Ebo, Tronic, or Rena TopCal heater. The key is to buy 2 smaller heaters rather than one big one for your tank, that way if one sticks in the "on" position it will not boil your fish. For a 108 gallon, I would buy 2 250 watt heaters. I go by the "5 watt per gallon" yardstick with heaters, so whatever would fit your storage tank size by that rule I would recommend.

Don ;D

Carol_Roberts
03-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Get one of each ;D

M0oN
03-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Get 4 heaters...two for the tank and two for a backup...

Smooth
03-02-2004, 12:26 AM
Thanks, I think I will go for 2 for my tank, and one for the storage. I'm still not sure which I should pick though, the tronic or the ebo. Hmmmmmm

DarkDiscus
03-02-2004, 10:20 AM
I agree with Moon about having some backups - I make sure I have 2 to 3 backups at all times.

I found that the Ebos I bought had a 50% failure rate inside of a month. The ones that survived that period worked okay, if erraticly. I still have 2 ebos - one in my Quarantine tank and one that worked but not at the set temperature which I have as a backup.

The other ones that worked all started to have buildups of condensation inside the tube after about a year or so.

I have no experience with Tronic heaters.

John

I will not by another Ebo.

M0oN
03-02-2004, 11:20 AM
I've had the same Tronic heaters without a single problem for 5 years now, my ebo jaeger haven't shown any problems yet and it's been since November...

Carol_Roberts
03-02-2004, 11:49 AM
I have both tronics and ebo's going in tanks and storage containers. Some are good , some are bad. Like I said buy one or two of each and see which you like best. Right now my favorite is Won Borthers Pro Heat. I purchased mine from Aqua Cave who has a banner below

henryD
03-02-2004, 01:03 PM
After being fed up with buying new heaters every 6 months. I went on an extended search for a good heater. I tried almost every brand avail. Testing them in my tanks for 3 months. I think I have found one that fits my need. The titanium pro heat from the Won brothers. (For now they work very well. Hope they don't decide to change their design).

I have 2 350 watts inside of my 100 gallon tank. Doing a very good job. They are a couple of bucks more expensive than the others but I figured it was worth not buying a new heater in 6 months.

I would also buy a heater above the 5 watts per rule. This way your heater is not working at full capacity all the time. It could help extend the life of your heater.

Henry

Ps. If you live in a cold climate like I do. It pays to have a couple of extra on hand in case one failed.

LEM504
03-02-2004, 01:44 PM
I have had similar problems with heaters. I think the problem was not so much the heaters going bad, it was just the load from cold weather. I have also found the metal cased heaters better, and think the secret is in the separate temp sensor.

The standard heater, has the thermostat located in the tube with the heating element.
The first thing that gets heated, is the air inside the tube. When the air reaches the correct temperature, it shuts off, until the water outside the tube cools it down. It just sits there, doing nothing, until the air inside has cooled.

The metal tube heaters, with the separate sensor, keep heating regardless of the temp inside the tube containing the element. I have found that a lower wattage heater, with the remote sensor does a better job.

None of the heaters, ( old style ) that were giving me trouble, were defective.
They were just spending too much time in idle mode, to keep up with the colder weather.

I’m a believer! Metal tubes and separate thermostats! In most cases, they are about the same price, or even cheaper ---

In all of the years, I have played in water, I can only remember one glass tube breaking.
( I did something stupid, but can’t remember what )
It’s not the metal - it’s the separate thermostat --
Don’t throw out the old heaters! Just move them to a smaller tank - bet they work fine.

Larry

Smooth
03-03-2004, 12:19 AM
Thank you all so much for your help. I'm going to find out how much it will cost for aquacave to ship to canada. They have a good deal on the eheim auto feeder as well, which I would like to purchase. The other place in canada I'm going to get some other equip from doesn't have that brand.

Thanks!!!!!!

Keystonediscus
03-03-2004, 07:14 AM
I too am in love with the Won Titanium heaters they are Durable long lasting and trouble Free. I agree with the others on having 2 heaters in large tanks however you should connect them to a Temprature Controller other wise one heater my do all the heating causing it to burn out Prematurely. (available From www. Jehmco.com). A Controller allows the bypass of the thermostats in the individual heaters and will cause both heaters to heat the tank at the same time. If you use this method warm and cold spots in the tank will be minimized and your heaters will Work more efficiantly and will last longer.

Jean
03-03-2004, 10:37 AM
Hey ...

Stay away from the Rena Cal IMO...
I have pics of what happened with oh, say 6+ of mine here... http://daah.info/forum/index.php?board=33;action=display;threadid=3177

I just sold a ton of the Won Heaters:
http://daah.info/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=4587
and I bought extras to list on daah's auctions: http://daah.info/auction .. I am sure you will get a great price if you want to check it out I have both glass and titanium and I will send an invoice for a guarantee on them for the winner. I'll list today!

For the rest of you guys... I will likely do this again. The prices listed on the link; well most of them I actually sold for less...some like over $8.00+ less!!!! So if you can hang on... I am just getting these out and I will likely do this again for you as well. In the meantime, check out the auctions and in a several months I will open up for more orders again. It is alot of work to do this so I need some recovery time! ;) ;D I started this cuz I wanted a few heaters and so did a friend.. wow! Talk about biting off a chunk! ::) But it is a good cause to help out fellow hobbiests with some great prices!

I'll post when I am ready to roll, with Al's ok of course!

Jean ;D 8)

Fish Addict
03-03-2004, 01:58 PM
I like pro heaters cause they are accurate...

The only thing i hate them is that they're ON all the time...

My electric bill doubles this month......that's a trade-off.. ;D ;D