PDA

View Full Version : how to heat holding tank water ?

discusdad
03-03-2004, 01:29 PM
i am designing and installing new fish room, 6 tanks + 3 plastic cola barrels (60 gals each) connected together with bulkheads. want to heat the water but am concern with melting barrels. anyone with experience. also, one 800w heater o.k. in first barrel? or three 250w heaters in each barrel. the bulkheads will be installed off the bottom of tank to ensure that heater will always be under water. aquatic-eco tech suggested attaching a titanium heater to bricks so the heater wouldnt touch the plastic barrel. any one with experience???? thanks in advance for help. eric a.k.a. discusdad (e-mail ehoff@rgv.rr.com)

Dkarc@Aol.com
03-03-2004, 01:53 PM
I just put one 250 watt heater per barrel. Dont worry about melting the barrels, the water would have to be pretty hot for that to happen.

-Ryan

discusdad
03-03-2004, 05:23 PM
ryan, my concern wasnt the water getting hot enough to melt a plastic barrel but that the heater laying on the floor of the barrel may melt a hole in it. do you lay your heater on barrel floor?

FischAutoTechGarten
03-03-2004, 05:31 PM
I do. I have a 200Watt heater in each of my 55 gallon poly drums. They rest right on the bottom. Doesn't concern me in the least.

Carol_Roberts
03-04-2004, 11:33 PM
My heaters sit on the bottom of the plastic barrels too

ping
03-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Hi,

I used to have water barrels (poly drums) with 300 watt heater. Sitting at the bottom and no problem at all.

HTH,
Ronny

GulfCoastDiscus
03-05-2004, 09:50 AM
Hi DiscusDad,
I have 3 drums hook-up together with 200w heater in each sitting on the bottom. When hooking the drums together make sure you add a shut-off valve between drums in case you want to do some maintenance.

Dan

ronrca
03-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Have you ever tried a little science experiment while camping where you take a styrofoam cup, fill it with water and put it in the fire? What happens? The cup doesnt burn or melt until the water evaporates because the water dissapates the heat. You shouldnt have a problem with the heater melting the plastic barrel. ;)

Keystonediscus
03-05-2004, 04:10 PM
As long as the heater has some water covering it you will not need to worry about melting the barrels Ive been heating my holding tanks with heaters on the the bottom for years and never had a problem you'll be fine

CanadianGuy
04-02-2004, 02:45 AM
Remember...heaters come with plastic mounting brackets! ;D