PDA

View Full Version : Question

ghettobanana
03-06-2004, 11:12 AM
If I just bought some small discus 2 days ago can I go back and buy 3 more from the same tank and intoduce them without the wait? No new fish were added to this tank so I can't see the harm.

Carol_Roberts
03-06-2004, 12:49 PM
It's a calculated risk. You don't know what nets have been in the tank at the store. It may be a risk worth taking if you only have 3 discus now and are going to buy 3 more. Only you can make the decision.

ghettobanana
03-06-2004, 08:02 PM
So I went and got the fish and now I notice that one of the fish is a bully. >:(

I am going to have to move him to a different tank so the others can eat in piece. What's your guess on the time I should keep him away?

Carol_Roberts
03-06-2004, 09:59 PM
He's only been in the tank a few hours. When ever new fish are added there is always fights over pecking order. It may take several days for them to get it sorted out. I'd put him back in and leave them be for a few days.

ghettobanana
03-07-2004, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the help Carol!
I will do that, but everyone sure was happy when they discovered the bully was gone. They were swimming all over the place and actually eating nicely. How long would you suggest I wait until making this move if the behavior does not stop? I have seen this with many other fish and even saw it with my shoal of piranhas. With these fish you can rearrange the tank or you just have to remove them. It seems sometimes we get a fish that is just plain mean. >:(

I may have misled you with me first post. I bought two originally and placed them in my 55 gallon heavily planted tank. I have been in the planted tank business for a couple of years now and decided to try my hand at Discus after becoming bored with Rainbows. I then went and bought 2 more yesterday from the same tank and even took my own net. I know the owner and he told me the tank had not been touched since I bought mine. So now I have 4 juvenile Discs in the tank. Their mates include many Otos, 5 SAE's, 2 Corydoras, 3 Caridina japonica, 1 Farlowella sp. : Twig Catfish and 15 neon’s. I use a UV so I don’t have to worry about ick and a few other things. ;) I keep the temp at 82 and do 50% water changes weekly because of all the nutrients I add to the water (plants). I am not looking to have show quality Discus just some nice pretty fish. I really only want 2 or 3 Discus in the end so I don’t max my bio load. That is why I only bought 2 at first. I hate to go and buy more to get my number up to six since I will be selling them or giving them away. I really like raising my fish and hate to buy adult fish so this is why I bought the young ones. This might be a mistake but we will see.

What ever advise you can give me with my arrangement would be greatly appreciated

Carol_Roberts
03-07-2004, 11:56 AM
With that small number of fish you will just have to watch the dynamics. You are correct some fish are little Hitlers and need to be in large groups to get along. If your little demon doesn't calm down take him back or permanently remove him.