PDA

View Full Version : important

suki243
03-06-2004, 03:30 PM
I went to the pet store to get some food the other day, and i described my tank to the person they're and i told him that my tv was next to the tank, and he said that is a big problem, he said u are either going to have to get rid of the fish or the tv. The tv is a 65 in. dlp, not easy to move and no more space for it any were, and the tank is a 200 + gallon tank, so what should i do? is what he saying true? He also says that they will start dying one by one, and in six- 8 months they will all die.

03-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Will they be dead because of the TV Programm ?
I could understand that.

Now more serios. What was the resonening behind the statment. Just saying it won't do.

Way back I had a tank near the tv.
The only reson I don't place a tank besides the tv is because I have prob. concentrating on the tv and caught myself wandering (watching) betwin both.

Ronald

03-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Sounds crazy to me, shouldn't be any more dangerous than us sitting by the tv.(Oh! maybe you should move it!) ;D ;D ;D

susankay1
03-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Suki, hon, I think the guy at the petstore was either after your big tank or your big tv. ;) I have 2-29 gallon tanks right beside my 65 inch tv and the red turks are laying eggs as Im typing this. The other tank has been beside the tv since I got the fish, about 7 month ago and no ill affects yet, cept maybe sleep deprivation when a good movie is on late. If there is any validity to the claim that being close to the tv will harm the fish, someone please speak up!!!! HTH Susan

Carol_Roberts
03-06-2004, 10:08 PM
My 135 African tank has been right next to the big screen since 1999.

GoodMike
03-06-2004, 11:05 PM
my 40 gallon has been next to a tv for a long time

Don_Lee
03-07-2004, 12:21 AM
IMO the salesperson was hopelessly ill informed, which is not unusual with pet store personnel. I have never heard of any problem associated with a television being located next to a fish tank.

Don

Scrappi_tt
03-07-2004, 12:40 AM
That pet store guy sounds crazy...LOL... ::) ;D

The only thing that will affect the discus with the TV near to them is the audio a really loud surround sound, home thearter etc. The're very sensitive to sound... Still they won't die because of a TV near to the tank.... ::)

steve s
03-07-2004, 09:31 PM
I have had the tv next to a 75gal for two years, never had a problem except when watching "R" rated movies

04-01-2004, 10:13 PM
The only thing I can think he might be relating it to is with the heaters. I don't remember exactly how it was stated on one of the new heaters I just bought but it did relate to it being safe from any TV frequency interferences. I don't know if this is what he is trying to relate it to or not. Just thought this might give you an idea of asking him if this is what he is talking about.

HTH,
Bryant

Lauren
04-02-2004, 12:09 AM
I saw a DIY project recently on one of my frequently visited fish sites and I wish I could remember where.. The guy made a stand for his TV, that housed a fish tank below the TV, it was pretty awesome

Willie
04-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Run, dont' walk, away from this sales guy.

Willie

Keystonediscus
04-04-2004, 01:34 PM
Isnt that the truth Ron I have never in my Experiance with pet stores ever met someone with very good Knowlege on fish. with one Exception however and that store specialized in Reef Aquaria and were very knowlegable in that department. go figure. I would aggree the sales guy was on something TV bad for your fish tank HA HA LOL

elgecko
04-04-2004, 02:53 PM
The sales guy does know what he's talking about. Your fish will die 1 at a time. Since I know your fish are more important then your tv, I'll be over to pick it up. ;)

etr63
04-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Hi suki

My tank is not right next to the tv but is only about five feet away and I swear that fish are watching tv sometimes ( all on one side of the tank staring right at it). Now if your fish are young you may want to monitor what programs they watch. The sea food restarants comercials may be a little scary :o. LOL