PDA

View Full Version : Spring Cleaning

RAWesolowski
03-06-2004, 10:34 PM
It's March and the aquarium is overgrown. Crypts have consumed the right half of the tank. Water sprite has tripled in width and grown to the surface. The rubin sword has finally taken root ans shows some nice growth. Corkscrew val was a nice idea but the discus keep it mowed to just an inch in height except where it has grown to the surface by hiding among the crypts. The hydro has turned into an underwater banyan tree with roots reaching down from its 12 inch branches.

My wife cleans the house and I clean up the aquarium. The result after turning the water into a murky mess and refilling the tank:

RAWesolowski
03-06-2004, 10:43 PM
Left side of the tank has, from left to right, ceratopteris thalictroides (water sprite), echinodorus rubin (rubin sword) foreground, hydrocotyle leucocephal (hydro) and unknown cryptocorune (probably wendtii of one sort or another).

RAWesolowski
03-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Right side of tank has cryptocoryne wendtii, wellaby wood, another wendtii with nymphaea lotus in foreground and hydrocotyle leucocephala in background.

RAWesolowski
03-06-2004, 10:50 PM
Substrate is seachem onyx sand with a mix of other gravel to give it dimension. Tank is 7.6 pH, 84F with 5GH and 8KH. No CO2 but dosed with 1 ml of Flourish at each water change, Plant growth has been excellent despite 50% water changes every other day and heavy vacuuming. Layout in pictures is two hours old. I expect to thin plants beginning in 3 to 4 weeks.

kzoocritter
03-06-2004, 11:58 PM
Hey Bob!
Thanks for the plants I will hopefully have them in pots this weekend.
You gotta get a bigger tank for those discus they take the whole thing up ;D
Just tell your wife I gave it to ya hehe,lets see a 125 gallon?
???
Take care
Chuck

ChloroPhil
03-07-2004, 08:49 AM
Bob,

Next time you thin the Crypts let me know I may be able to use them. I like what you've done with the substrate. While not a huge fan of Onyx, mixing like that looks good and must do wonders for the buffering capacity of your water. Good looking tank and fish!

RAWesolowski
03-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Thanks, Phil. Let me know your e-mail and I'll tell you when I have some more. Two varieties of C. wendtii, the first reaches a height of 6 inches, the second tops out at 12.

jules
03-08-2004, 11:14 AM
Your tank looks good - I especially like the sword, it's thriving.

RAWesolowski
03-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks, Jules. I'll post again on this thread in a month to show the changes, if any, in the tank.

RAWesolowski
03-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Thanks, Jules. I'll post an update in about a month to show changes, if any.