PDA

View Full Version : Can't get these guys to eat

lsuber
03-08-2004, 05:33 PM
I picked up two of Jack Wattley's discus from an LFS on Saturday, and I can't get these guys to eat. They are swimming rather freely in the tank pretty much most of the time. But when I go to lift the hood and glass tops to feed, they immediately run for cover. There's one smaller discus in there that eats EVERY time, along with the tetras (cardinals). The two new additions never do get any of the food. Will this behavior ease up with time?

DarkDiscus
03-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Usually a discus will eat pretty quickly, but you don't know what these guys have been through. I'd give them some more time and let them settle in, meanwhile bump the tank temp to 87-88 degrees and try to attract them with some extra tasty food like blackworms or something live.

Keep a close eye on them for signs of hex or any other diseases.

Also, it sounds like you didn't quarantine these guys, which really would have been the best idea.

John

PS. I had a wild that didn't eat for 3 weeks when I got him. He had been through a lot of trauma and was on a hunger strike. Suddenly he started eating and is now quite the food hog. Obviously this is not normal, but they can go a while, so don't stress out.

lsuber
03-08-2004, 06:42 PM
No, I didn't QT them. After talking with the store about how long they'd been there, being on a seperate filtration system, UV sterilizers, etc. etc., I decided to pitch them into their permanent home. It sounded better than acclimating them to one tank, then moving them to another. I'm hoping the presence of other tank-mates isn't causing a problem. It's a school of 10 cardinal tetras, two swordtails, and a betta (which is rarely out and about). The bottom feeders are clown loaches (which stay hidden all but two hours of the time that I"ve noticed) and 5 julii cories. NOBODY has even offered a hint of chasing the new guys, and I have a smaller juvenile discus in as well that's eating like there's no tomorrow. Strange to say the least. For what I paid, I'm hoping this behavior does indeed pass and they begin eating. I can't afford to keep plopping these guys in the tank!

GulfCoastDiscus
03-09-2004, 03:06 AM
I'm assuming you have a planted tank. Have you considered a barebottom tank with your discus. In a BB tank you can add salt (1 to 2 tbsp per 10gal)and bump the heat up to 88. Small discus tend to feel safer in groups of 6 or more. Next time you buy try buying from a refutable breeder and not pay all that overhead that lfs charges. You'll get quality fish at a cheapr price. Check out the banners on top(Greatlake Discus). ;) ;)

dan

lsuber
03-09-2004, 07:36 AM
BB tanks don't appeal to me at all. I want the entire setup to be attractive, not just the fish. Bare tanks with heaters, filters, etc. being the only things visible are just not for me. I'm hoping the fish are of good quality since they're Jack Wattley's. It looks to me like he is a reputable breeder from what I've read!

GulfCoastDiscus
03-09-2004, 08:25 AM
Unless you bought them directly from Gabe Posada, anybody can say they have JW's fish. You can have the best quality fish but if you give less than optimum condition for growing juvenilles, you'll always run into problems.
If you want a planted tank it's best to go with adult discus. Juvenilles discus tend to not grow well in a planted tank and often gets sick.

Dan

Wolf_Mek
03-09-2004, 08:39 AM
I don't know about the not growing well and getting sick ???. I've seen a persons 90g planted take which houses 9 juveniles discus. They have excellant shape and color. Perhaps they don't grow as fast?

Except for the episode I had after introducing a new discus w/out quarintining (sp?) an new discus, mine have been doing excellant in my planted tank. I would think their immune systems would be better off in this kind of climate because it can handle more kinds of disease?

GulfCoastDiscus
03-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Well...Do what works for you. Most people that's been in the hobby for awhile will tell you the same. Good luck.

imho,Dan

lsuber
03-09-2004, 12:09 PM
I'll say it one last time: THESE ARE JACK WATTLEY DISCUS. They came from Aquamain's in Greensboro, NC, which is linked from JW's website as a distributor. Check it out if you don't beleive my word. I have certificates and all folks. Can't beleive there' so much doubt about what people say on this board...........

They're beginning to come around the front of the tank more often, and maybe are still settling in some from the ride home. All I can do at this point is put food in the tank (yep, using some beefheart, some frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, flakes, etc.) and hope they come around for me. Thanks to most of you guys for the helpful input. This board has generally been an excellent source of information along the way!

DarkDiscus
03-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Sounds like they are starting to get eating, which is good. Did you happen to ask the distributor what they were feeding those guys? That would help as well.

I have to say, I don't think that Dan was doubting your word - it seems more like he was trying to help out. People in the past have used the names of others to promote their fish. I know that Wattley's does use distributors to sell his fish.

In fact, if you want info straight from the source, you could always call Gabe Posada at wattley's - he's full of information and is a good guy to boot.

John

lsuber
03-09-2004, 12:37 PM
I didn't ask about their feeding habits in the store. They were having a HUGE annual sale, and I was lucky to even find somebody to help get me these two discus. They're usually very good about offering help, but that was not the day for a 30-minute discussion! I'm due to get back over there pretty soon, or maybe I'll just make a phone call to ask about feeding. I don't know if they'd eat what I'm putting in or not, they never stay out when I open the lid at feeding time. Good thought though, I'll certainly look into that!

GulfCoastDiscus
03-09-2004, 02:12 PM
I apologise if I have offended you Isuber. There are several lfs here in town that says they have JW's discus to marked up their prices. As you get more involve into this hobby you will see some dishonest seller and I'm just making you aware. I fell for it.

What size and strain are they? Can you provide pics?

Again I'm sorry. I'm not on this board to offend anyone so take a chill pill.

Dan

lsuber
03-09-2004, 03:08 PM
They're both probably around a year old, but my limited experience may be leading me astray. They're each around 4" to 5" long and have great shape and color. One is a Red Panda, one is a Leopard. There are several other discus in the tank that are about half that size, and are of random breeding from a good LFS. These guys are all in a 90-gal planted tank, CO2 injection, Eheim 2026, Magnum 350, 220w AHS lighting kit, 50/50 mix of Flourite and Eco-Complete. Tank's been running about 2 months now. Everbody else in there seems really healthy. I've had NO deaths of any fish other than the occaisional otto cat. I'm at work at the moment and can't post photos from here, but will try and do so later tonight.

lsuber
03-09-2004, 09:14 PM
OK, they've finally eaten a little, only after some pretty careful food placement strategy! I noticed if the food passes right by where they hide, they'll eat as much of it as floats by. So, they WILL eat, they're just scared to come out. That gives me hope that once they feel somewhat secure, I'll be in business.

Don_Lee
03-10-2004, 12:54 AM
Sounds like things are going well. Make sure and watch the oxygen content of the water, with CO2 injection you can end up with toxicity quickly. If you have to err, err on the side of less CO2 and more oxygen IME. Keep everything real clean.... have found bloodworms to be fav treats of discus, but you do not want to left uneaten leftovers rot.........that will tax any filter that you have.
Keep us updated, sounds like a nice tank.

Don ;D

lsuber
03-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Certainly good ideas Don. I think I have the CO2 under control, I bought a Pinpoint controller for my CO2 tank, and it keeps the pH between 6.8 and 7.0. I also have a good clean-up crew that eats anything that happens to make it to the bottom. 4 large clown loaches, 5 cory cats, and several SAE's and otto's. Not much sits uneaten in this tank! I did get these two discus to eat some today. I managed to drop some flake food in there without scaring them off, and they both had a little. Maybe we're making progress!

lsuber
03-11-2004, 02:09 PM
These two have finally started eating! I got them to come out a little yesterday for some flake food and frozen brine shrimp. Today, they packed away some beef heart (frozen, bought at LFS), some frozen brine shrimp, and frozen blood worms. Maybe there's hope after all!

DarkDiscus
03-11-2004, 02:15 PM
They just needed time to get over the flashbacks of the big, scary net coming for them!

;)

John

lsuber
03-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Here's a couple shots of these guys, they seem to be doing pretty well for the moment. I'll cross-post this on the photo forum as well.

http://home.mindspring.com/~lsuber/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/two.jpg

http://home.mindspring.com/~lsuber/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/leopard.jpg

lsuber
03-14-2004, 10:15 PM
Thought I'd post a little bit of an update. They're both eating like pigs now, and hang out at the front of the tank most of the time. In random combinations, I'm using Cichlid Chow (aka Discus Delight), frozen San. Fran. brand beefheart, frozen fortified brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, Tetra ColorBits, and Tetra flake food. Once they realize there's anything frozen in the mix, the pellets and flakes are ignored, which the tetras greatly appreciate. I've also added a Jack Wattley Marlboro Red, and he/she is still getting adjusted. We don't see too much of him/her yet. I'm thinking of adding another Leopard, and maybe two Red Striated Turqs from the LFS's Wattley selection. That would bring the total of med. sized discus to 6 in a 90-gal tank.

Don_Lee
03-14-2004, 10:31 PM
Great! Nice looking tank and fish, keep us updated! Sounds like you are doing a great job! ;D

Don