PDA

View Full Version : Tank turnover rate

Zak
03-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Hey everyone! I've been lurking here for a few days now, and figured it's time I make a post.

I've put together my own wet/dry filter and am starting off with a 29 gallon tank to grow my discus out. I am curious as to what pump you all might reccomend. I have read that discus prefer calm water, so the water does not need to be cycled too often. What pump would work best for my setup? Many thanks -
Zak

nimbusv
03-08-2004, 09:22 PM
As far as i know due the larger bacteria surface in wet-dry sump, water does not need to be turned over as many times as when you're working with canisters or HOBs, i'd say that for a 29 GL, a 90-120GL/h pump would be enough.

Dane
03-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Wet/Dry filters are great for bio filtration, but they dump lots of heat in the process. So watch the temp in a Discus tank...

jn4u
03-12-2004, 08:20 PM
I power all my tanks with wet/dry system. Well not all but at least 6 lagres tanks. Turn and turn over I have set them up that I have loot of water dripping over the filter material. Then the gravity take care of the water speed. 30 liters filters with a ehiem 1200 l/h in 600 liters tank. Take a look at my homepage and you will understan my filters...

Willie
03-13-2004, 01:01 PM
A wet/dry is an overkill for a 29 gallon tank, when a sponge filter and an air pump will suffice. Remember that filtration will absolutely not substitute for frequent, large water changes.

Willie