PDA

View Full Version : Connecting two tanks, WOW!

Lou
03-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Just found this link. I think it is one of the coolest things I've ever seen done with a fish tank.

http://www.bio-elite.com/waterbridge.htm

-Lou

Jason
03-11-2004, 02:33 PM
neat,

who wants too build one that connects two tanks in seperate rooms 8)

Lou
03-11-2004, 02:37 PM
And on different floors. ;D

JPW
03-11-2004, 03:02 PM
And..... big enough for Discus! ;D

like a hamster trail - hehe ;D

wait - think of the possibilities...feed them on one side only - easier to clean
then you need a connecter to the outhouse! ;D

limige
03-11-2004, 08:19 PM
lol, i've pondered the idea for years, kinda like the trolley on mr. rogers, fish tanks that wrapped around the room and had tubes that connected to other rooms...hehe, discus would be harder for this because of their high bodies but africans can smaller tropicals might like it.

i've been debating about interconnecting tanks for central systems, have water go in the end tank and flow through each tank and drain on the other end. but there's not much reason for it.

i thought about sectioning off my 190 with sponge for breeder tanks, just pull out the sponge divider and you got more room!

FischAutoTechGarten
03-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Problem, They'd all settle in the apartment with the best view.

slicksta
03-13-2004, 05:46 PM
Aquatic Eco-systems sells clear PVC and Acrylic pipe...but bring a fat wallet

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings.items/cid/1859

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings.items/cid/2074

limige
03-14-2004, 01:01 AM
you would be much better off buying a sheet of acrylic and glue and making a square tubed bridge! you could make one large enough for discus!

Fish_Fin-atic
03-27-2004, 12:42 PM
Very neat idea, and I have seen it done on some huge saltwater tanks in some fish shops here in Toronto. I would consider it very carefully before I put one in at home though. There are lots of downsides to this bridge. For example, if it developed a small leak somewhere along the bridge, which allowed air inside...there goes the vacuum effect holding the water in, and the bridge's water would flow into either tank, flooding both of them - don't forget, your filter is pumping water from one tank into the other.....no more brigde = one empty tank, and one seriously flooded home!!! Also, you wouldn't be albe to do a huge water change effectively, and it would be difficult to quarantene a tank or medicate, or even catch a sick fish which might just decide to hide inside the bridge. Also, if a fish decided to take up residence in the bridge, feeding it would be difficult, and no doubt fights would errupt over the "rights" to the bridge.
And these are just a few of the problems I can think of off the top of my head! :P

But, it does look neat doesn't it? :)

mtwinn
04-08-2004, 10:10 PM
I once had an acrylic fish tank that had 2 sides and there were 2 tube roughly 6-8 inches diameter connecting the 2 sides as its design. It just happens that I was keeping discus in this tank. My experience was that the fish rarely ventured into the tube to over to the other side. And when they do, they tend to stay on the new side. It would be weeks if not months before they were back on the other side. This resulted in a bunch of discus on one side and 1 or 2 lost on the other. In addition, the tube only works for smaller fish. Once a discus has outgrown the tube, it renders the tube idea useless. I guess what I am trying to say is that the tube is a cool idea if fish travels it regularly. In my case, they rarely crossed over so it was a waste.