PDA

View Full Version : Two small discus

Derock
03-11-2004, 03:20 PM
I'm just starting off with discus for the first time and picked up the only two the store had and they looked of decent quality to me. I have them in a 33 gallon tank with an aqua clear 300 and a power head with a foam filter on it..bare bottom and a heater. Turned the heat up to 31 and put salt in to kill off anything they might have. Skin looks good, fins, and feces looks normal. My question is they are starting to chase each other around the tank, would putting up a clear divider in the middle be a good idea? I'm getting a 55 gallon soon and more discus but for the mean time what should I do? They are the size of a silver Canadian toonie.

M0oN
03-11-2004, 04:21 PM
Let them establish for a week or two, if physical damage becomes apparent then you might want to put in a divider but it's somewhat normal for discus to get a little racy with eachother when new to a tank to establish the dominance between one another...

Carol_Roberts
03-11-2004, 09:01 PM
When you only have 2 or 3 or 4 juveniles it's very common for one to harass the weaker one(s) unmercifully.

03-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Don't worry about it, once you get 6 or more juvs in the tank the problems should end. Don't worry about the size of the tank at this point, because a 55 or even a 33gal will be plenty of space for 6 or even more juvs. Good luck