PDA

View Full Version : Constructing Realistic Artificial Root System for Discus Tanks.

FischAutoTechGarten
03-13-2004, 03:00 PM
Hmm, sounds like we need to start a thread about artificial root systems for adding a natural look to bare bottom discus tanks.

Curious,
What would most hobbyist be willing to pay for a sizeable piece that dressed up a 75 gallon tank?

Would anyone consider a small display for a 29 gallon or 30long?

What are a few of the brands of aquatic safe resin that could be used to construct such root systems?

What species of tree/bush should the root system be modeled after?

Rick_May
03-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Hey COOL!
I've been thinking about the same thing. I was thinking of using epoxy mixed with sand then pored into so kind of form, I think it can be done using foam to create a mold around a good looking chunk of wood. then you could reuse the form. got the idea from watching myth busters when they make a form of one of their heads.....

Jean
03-15-2004, 02:35 PM
;D Great Idea guys!

I am hopefully stopping in a place on a trek north to Foster & Smith that does some of these things for tanks... or so I hear! Will let ya know what I find and hopefully get some pics too.

jean ;D 8)

FischAutoTechGarten
03-15-2004, 03:54 PM
Messed around with a little styrofoam last night. Concluded: I dont' want to build them. Too much work.

Dazoc
03-16-2004, 09:42 PM
Stumbled onto this tonight. May work for a nice rock setup and stick branches to it for root look.
http://www.aquarium-background.com/

Eli