PDA

View Full Version : Killing Field

aggie_67
03-14-2004, 02:07 AM
New to Discus, thought I had a real good mix in my 55. 2 cory cats,11 cardinal tetras, and 11 2 1/2 discus. Really enjoyed watching them feed, the cory cats on the bottom getting crumbs, the cardinals rushing in and out to get the really small pieces still falling.

But this morning when I checked the tank all 11 tetra were dead!!! Some floating, some on bottom. Appeared to be partially eatten, stomach gone. Everyone else was great.

Have no idea what happened, great news is all the discus were OK but would like to know why they died. Always thought the discus would be the first to go. Don't think the discus could have killed them as they were too fast. Did feed everyone frozen brine shrimp for the first time yesterday also frozen bloodworms. The cardinals really made pigs of themselves.

ANY IDEAS???

GoodMike
03-14-2004, 02:17 AM
well, ive heard of discus being slightly agressive toward smaller fish, so my bet is on them.

ShadowDiscus
03-14-2004, 02:47 AM
I had the same problem 15 one day none the next : ) I caught the the discus finishing of the last ones

jimmybui
03-14-2004, 02:53 AM
maybe the person u got the fish off of is horrible, i had 3 cory cats and the next day they all died, i think it was the fast temperature change,from how i got the cory cats in cold water and had them in warm water when i brought them home,but 2 1/2 discus is not big enough.. i don't think?

slicksta
03-14-2004, 02:56 AM
Discus will usually not be able to catch a healthy tetra...
I have found that they are hard to acclimate....
how long did you have the the cards for?
was your tank cycled?

M0oN
03-14-2004, 03:31 AM
Tetra are a discus' natural food source in the wild...

The likely problem is that the tetra were wild caught and hadn't been quarantined long enough or medicated for common wild ailments...they're a pain to keep alive...I gave up on them a long time ago...

lesley
03-14-2004, 05:26 AM
I keep tetras and discus.
Most of my discus have been bought when small, but I have purchased about four large ones, who obviously were not fed on tetras. I have found the hardiest tetras are the black tetras. I don't think that tetras like the higher discus temps. The tetras and corys I have now were all quarantined in lower temps than the discus, but higher than most LFS's.

I would think that the tetras were dying or dead and the discus nibbled them. My younger discus have usually left live corys and tetras alone. I have seen mine nibbling on a dead corys, four out of eight, the surviving four which I have only just managed to keep alive!!!

aggie_67
03-14-2004, 11:10 AM
Appreciate the feedback. At least I know that it has happened to others. Know what you mean when you say cardinals are hard to raise, the initial purchase was for 20 and 9 died with in the first couple days. But the remaining 11 have had for a couple months now and had doubled in size.

slicksta
03-14-2004, 11:38 AM
......you had them a couple of months...that is odd...
check your water....for amonia or an unusual pH ....have you done anything lately that may have killed your filters bio