PDA

View Full Version : Buying Baby Discus

Willie
03-14-2004, 01:37 PM
I've noticed a number of newbies asking for baby discus. I know that its a cheap way to get into the hobby, but its really a bad idea.

Baby discus do not ship well. A large discus is typically starved for 2 days before shipping. They stay in a bag for 24 hours and typically resume eating after 10 - 12 hours in the new tank. Do that to a baby and you'll be dealing with health issues. They are also much, much, much more sensitive to changes in pH, temperature and nitrate levels.

I've had personal experience with buying babies at the beginning, and the results are not pretty. Start with 3" or larger fish and give yourself a fighting chance.

Willie

AADiscus
03-15-2004, 06:05 PM
Those babies have some pretty blue on them. What kind are they? We have a batch of fry right now that are solid blue colbalt X blue turq. They are just about 2 weeks old and you can see just a little blue on their gills. Those in your pic are cute! :)

Willie
03-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Those were Blue Diamonds, AA. They're chomping down on beefheart in the picture. The blue, however, comes from the background.

Willie

susankay1
03-15-2004, 11:39 PM
I agree with Willie, buying tiny discus is risky at best. Buying fish that are over 2 inches allows them to build up their immune systems and they can take changes a lot better, IMO.

discuscartel
03-15-2004, 11:59 PM
hi,

nice discussion, i disagree though that baby discus don't ship well. in my experience baby discus as small as one inch to 2.5 inches ship better than larger fish if boxed properly. larger fish produce much more quantities of urine and feces equaling higher ammonia and bacteria counts during shipping.

i think the problems start when the fish are placed into their new tanks after the shipping process. many people don't have their tanks cycled properly and ph adjusted properly and this is where the babies become less forgiving than the larger fish. IMO.

thanks john

discus_nw
03-16-2004, 12:39 AM
I, too, tend to disagree with the first post. I believe that smaller, younger discus ship better than large discus.

Lack of knowledge and skill kills more discus after shipment than lack of size.

Too many people are buying discus without the basic skills needed to raise them. :)

CARY_GLdiscus
03-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Way To nail it John + matt,

I also Do not agree with Willie about shipping! Infact I just sold a bunch of 1" fry and after explaining to My cliants before they buy the needs of small fry almost all are doing very well raiseing them!

hth
Takecare
Cary Gld!

SSTurner
03-16-2004, 12:34 PM
If I can get them dime size I will :)

CARY_GLdiscus
03-16-2004, 12:43 PM
I read On DAAH

Homegrown tomatos are better then store bought! ;)