PDA

View Full Version : Just getting started

etr63
03-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Hello All

Just started my new tank yesterday. I am new to discus. I have been keeping Africans for some time now and have always wanted to try Discus. I have a 55 Gal tank, 2 Hydorsponge V filters. I painted the back, sides and bottom of the tank light blue. The tank will be kept bare. My water out of the tap is PH= high 7s, low 8s. KH=7, GH=8. These readings are right out of the tap. I have a RO unit on the way. So much information out there (some of it scarry, I guess that a little fear is better than being over confident) its difficult to determine which path to take. After I learn to keep the little jewels healthy and happy I would like to have them breed. I plan on starting with 6 to 8 discus. I will be buying then from Cary at Great lakes Discus since he is local for me and I have heard great things about his Discus. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Thanks Earl

Carol_Roberts
03-15-2004, 05:03 PM
It sounds like you are trying to do all the right things ;D

Your water is fine for discus - you may never need to use an RO with GH 7 water. Better to have spent that money on a water storage barrel and pump to make your daily water changes easier.

Are you going to do a fishless cycle?

etr63
03-15-2004, 05:18 PM
Hi Carol

I was going to wait about 3 weeks and then purchase some inexpensive fish to help with the cycleing process. I was also thinking about useing some of the synthetic bacteria products I have seen in the stores, but i dont know much about them. Have you tried them? I figured on waiting about 2 months before adding Discus.

Earl

Carol_Roberts
03-15-2004, 05:41 PM
I've heard that biospira works.

You have plenty of time to do a fishless cycle with an 89 cent bottle of ammonia (no perfume, color or scent). By adding ammonia you can have your filters ready for a big fish load in 4 or 5 weeks. Look in the beginner index to read how simple it is ;D