PDA

View Full Version : Salt from Home Depot

xpotato
03-15-2004, 06:24 PM
My friend told me that I don't really need to buy the Aquarium Salt, I could get any salt from Hone Depot to replace it.

Do you know is it truth that I can do it as he said. Which brand should I look for?

henryD
03-15-2004, 06:30 PM
Home depot salt is a no no.

You can however go to a grocery store and buy what they call Kosher salt. It can be picked up for about 1.50.

Henry

ronrca
03-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Look for the pure water softener salt sold in 5kg bags! Much, much cheaper than anything else. ;)

slicksta
03-15-2004, 06:55 PM
any salt in pellet form is a no-no....
you want to use a pure salt such as solar
I use Morton Solar Salt...80 pounds for $6. I got it from Tru-value hardware.....they can order it.

John

discus_nw
03-16-2004, 12:23 AM
Or, if you are not looking for such a quanity, buy food grade rock salt at any grocery store.

ronrca
03-16-2004, 10:43 AM
any salt in pellet form is a no-no.... Why? Ive been using it for a year with no ill effects! Just curious as to why 'pellet salt is different than 'grocery' salt? ;)

FischAutoTechGarten
03-16-2004, 11:58 AM
As long as what you are using is Sodium Chloride, it's fine. I get 25lb bags for $2 at the end of the season at Lowes. Same stuff I salt my sidewalk with, I stick in the Discus tank. I do that every year..stock up on my salt at the end of the winter for the next year. I think I'll try getting 80lbs of solar salt from True Value though at $6.

As far as pelletized salt, I think the fear there is that it is actually extruded Magnesium Sulfate (which is actually Epson salt) or perhaps Potassium Chloride (that's the one you really don't want.)

Some use small amonts of Magnesium Sulfate for swim bladder disease or bloat.

iceman_373
03-16-2004, 12:02 PM
wal-mart has the yellow bag of salt that is used in water softeners for $3.84 it is a 40lb bag I believe. I have been using it for years. Do not buy the BLUE bag that has additives in it!

slicksta
03-16-2004, 12:32 PM
I spoke to Morton Salt about 6 months ago....
and they are asked this question repeatedly...
The only salt they recommend you use is Solar Salt or Pickling Salt.
These are your two purest forms...
They told me that they can't speak for other companies...but there are additives in pellet salt that you should not be introducing to an aquarium.
Even granular table salt has chemicals added to keep it from clumping.
They told me that they have done extensive testing on the subject due to the high volume of calls they receive
I found the 80lbs bag of Solar for $6 very economical to boot.

ronrca
03-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the info! From what I can tell, the Home Depot stuff is 99.9% pure salt (99% or 99.9% is what I believe it says on the bag). Can you get any more purer than that? Or perhaps the question should be, does it have to be more purer than 99.9% to be of concern? Like I mentioned, I have used it with success on new arrivals, ich, bloat, etc. I guess another side is if people are using this water softener salt in there home water systems, they most likely are using this water softener for their drinking water also.

I found the 80lbs bag of Solar for $6 very economical to boot.Thats a decent price for salt actually! I was expecting higher.

ronrca
03-17-2004, 10:33 AM
fyi,
I doubled checked the bag of salt that I bought from Home Depot. Its made by sifto and it goes by the name cristal. Salt content is actually 99.8% evaporated salt. ;)

GulfCoastDiscus
03-17-2004, 01:33 PM
I been using Home Depot salt for years with no ill effect. Make sure you buy the salt that says Sodium Chloride not Potassium Chloride.

dan

03-17-2004, 01:44 PM
Water Softener salt NaCl from Home Depot.$3.99 Canadian per 10Kg is what I been using for thousands of fish for years and will still use the same. Doesn't work well on my driveway. Can't use for that purposes. For fish tank is just fine.
Jimmy

crazy4discus
03-17-2004, 05:39 PM
i use the solar salt from home depot 50lbs for 2.99 works great for me

xeronimox
03-18-2004, 06:42 AM
Hello to all !!!!

Question: ???
Why you use the Salt ???
How you used it ??
and how much you use ??

I appreciate every answer