PDA

View Full Version : cats and fish

daveycrockett
03-22-2004, 01:31 AM
Has anyone had a problem with discus being afraid of cats. Suppose they would look at them in the tank. Would it stress them too much. I know it sounds silly. Just a thought

susankay1
03-22-2004, 02:18 AM
Not silly at all, my fish seem to enjoy the cat's attention. And the cats like the taste of the tank water so I guess if I have their approval, I must be keeping it clean enough..lol

jules
03-22-2004, 09:31 AM
LOL, my hubs cat used to drink from his Oscar tank.
But holy Susan aren't you afraid that kitty will take his paw to your Discus? :o

Julie

ping
03-22-2004, 10:12 AM
Wow Susan, that's a nice picture, really cute :)
Is that alright to let your cat doing that ? That's kind of scary ;D ( Not to the cat ;D ).

Regards,
Ronny

Lauren
03-22-2004, 01:27 PM
my cats used to drink from my 50gal tank in my old house.. They would watch the angelfish, and since it was near a window - watch the birds.. drink up a bit, hang out

I never thought they were interested in catching them an angelfish. Until one day one of my very lovely angels had a big gash in it. I cant prove it was a kitty(I have 6), but I dont think that angels rivals grew a claw either.

Now that we're moved the only time the cats are in the fish room is when someones down there, anyways, now that the mice are in the same place they are MUCH more interested in the mice(my sister has a snake) because they move more than the fish.

wildthing
03-22-2004, 03:38 PM
My seal-point Siamese used to do the exact same thing...& he caught a fish a couple of times. Siamese are true expert fishermen so be very careful about that.
My old boy would ( pretend to) sleep on the top of the tank with his paws over the side & if I left the lid open he would have one paw constantly in the water...funnily enough the Discus used to seem to tease him through the glass & they were never fazed, probably why he was able to hoist a few out of the tank.
Gotta love those smart & chatty Siamese eh!!! my old boy actually put my friend's known cat-killer large male greyhound into vet hospital one time,,,the dog rushed in to attack & my boy just stood his ground, hissed like a cobra & started shredding.... totally lacerated the dogs muzzle & then his rear end, producing lots of blood & requiring stitches ...these are very serious cats & I LOVE them!
LOL
:)

susankay1
03-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Salt (Season Salt) is declawed so I dont worry about the fish, I worry more about the fish pulling her into the tank. She loves the tank water for some reason. As for the fish being afraid of the cats, check this out. This pair is laying while my big water-spilling cat is laying on the desk next to the tank watching the catfish in the tank. The fish are kind of hard to see cause the cat is so big, but they are laying on the wall, right beside the sponge filter.

elgecko
03-23-2004, 12:20 AM
A lot of times 3 of my 4 cats will hang out with my discus.

http://fish.orbust.net/forums/uploads/post-20-1078353501.jpg

susankay1
03-23-2004, 12:25 AM
Man, that looks like a dangerous bunch of muggers!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding, the cats look like they are trying to figure out how to get that top off and get to those discus though. Very nice tank and stand!!!!

DiscusinDaytona
03-23-2004, 02:32 PM
Hi Susan,

Pretty kitty! Mine likes the fish water, too. Every day when I come in the door he perches on the "fish chair" to help with the w/c. Can't get him to drink from a bowl, but fish bucket, no prob! Sicko. Lol.

Tina

lesley
03-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Good website!!

Found out how to care for the Nepenthes ventricosa that I bought just yesterday

:D

Lesley

elgecko
03-23-2004, 10:33 PM
lesley,
Good luck with your Nepenthes ventricosa. CP's are addicting just like discus. They take some time to setting in to there new surroundings, but once they do they pitcher very well.

liz
03-25-2004, 06:48 PM
I like the photos they are really good.

KARINA
03-25-2004, 08:04 PM
very funny pics :D, i don't have a cat but now i am thinking of getting one! LOL

Nightowl
03-26-2004, 03:06 AM
This one isn't too into the fish...gets in trouble other ways. She does like to supervise sometimes..J.T.

Nightowl
03-26-2004, 03:12 AM
Oh no....fading fast...too much computing...

Nightowl
03-26-2004, 03:14 AM
That's it....I'm toast....no more "Simply" 'till tomorrow

elgecko
03-26-2004, 12:57 PM
;D

KARINA
03-26-2004, 05:36 PM
hey J.T cracking me up here :D, very pretty cats just like your fish you always go for the best quality? ;)