PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to set up a Discus tank at about 12" of the floor?

nimbusv
03-22-2004, 05:38 PM
I have an iron tank stand that has space in the bottom to put up a second tank, will discus will be ok there? or is it better fr them to be in the high part of the stand??

M0oN
03-22-2004, 05:49 PM
I'd say it depends on age, I've got a breeding pair 8 inches off the floor that do fine, some may be skittish though...

FischAutoTechGarten
03-22-2004, 05:50 PM
They'll be fine. However, most iron stands that have a lower shelf aren't meant to handle the weight. A 30 gallon tank weighs over 300lbs full. That lower shelf is usually just tack welded to the uprights and is meant to hold, cans of flake food, extra filter cartridges, your net, a cleaning sponge, etc... If that lower shelf breaks it will take not only your lower tank, but your upper tank with it as well.

SSrowr
03-22-2004, 05:52 PM
*NOT A PROFESSIONAL OPINION

BUT,
with all the research I have done, I have found many sources that say discus are skittish fish which are spooked easily. Therefore, it seems that putting discus at foot-level tank would not bring good results, for much the same reasons as you must avoid putting them in with faster moving, more energetic fish(even if they're smaller!). The movement of feet going constantly by would, i would think, agitate the fish more than a body going by(twice the motion, if you know what I mean).

Anyway, why would you want to put the king of aquarium fish on the floor? They should be closer to eye level so you can enjoy their beauty!

If you can put them on top, that's a no-brainer for me; I would want to be watching them all the time, and being 6' 3" means I'd have to bend over mighty far to view at 1' off the ground!! :) ;) :)

-Seth

nimbusv
03-22-2004, 06:21 PM
They'll be fine. However, most iron stands that have a lower shelf aren't meant to handle the weight. A 30 gallon tank weighs over 300lbs full. That lower shelf is usually just tack welded to the uprights and is meant to hold, cans of flake food, extra filter cartridges, your net, a cleaning sponge, etc... If that lower shelf breaks it will take not only your lower tank, but your upper tank with it as well.

This stand i had it custom made, it holds a 95 GAL on top and a 80GAL on the bottom, in the bottom tank i have about 50 Green terror juvies from the last spawn of my breeding pair but the moment for the GTs to go to the LFS is getting closer and i'll have an empty 95GAL. That's why i was wondering if they'll be ok there, now my discus are in a 50 GAL wide

nimbusv
03-22-2004, 06:23 PM
Anyway, why would you want to put the king of aquarium fish on the floor? They should be closer to eye level so you can enjoy their beauty!

If you can put them on top, that's a no-brainer for me; I would want to be watching them all the time, and being 6' 3" means I'd have to bend over mighty far to view at 1' off the ground!! :) ;) :)

-Seth

i have been thinking that too, but i don't have room to have another stand made.

Thanks

SSrowr
03-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Just wanted to make a lil correction - water weighs 8lbs/gal. 30 gal tank would have 240lbs of water, in bare bottom, maybe a bit more total weight w/ all equipment.

~Seth~

tony1313
03-22-2004, 10:32 PM
I think you'll be ok 12" off the ground, my main concern would be that the lowest part of the tank is lower than the drain you'll be siphoning into(for water changes).

Tony

SSrowr
03-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Did you decide what your going to do with the tank? I'd be interested in your conclusion and the end result.

~Seth~

nimbusv
03-24-2004, 04:48 PM
I still have not made up my mind, since the low tank is still full

bikhu
03-24-2004, 10:01 PM
I keep one of my tanks about 2 inches from the floor. I siphon out a door into my yard so there is no problem getting a siphon going. The fish have acclimated very well and all of the fish that have grown out in that tank have done very well. I am not saying this is the optimum but IME it has worked fine. I also know others who keep some of their tanks very low due to space constraints. THat is what happens when this addicition bites you hard. YOu run out of space vertically so you start stacking.... If you can't go any higher... then you go lower! ;)
HTH
peter

KARINA
03-25-2004, 08:15 PM
i have two tanks with discus where one of them is placed derectly on the floor being honest with you guys the fish in the smaller tank on the floor( smaller fish) is much less skittish then the one above it as long as you don't walk by it too close i think they will be just fine it's just my opinion but there is nothing better like finding out for yourself ;)