PDA

View Full Version : A stuborn black hair algea problem

peteypob
03-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Hi all!

Had a quick question, on my amazons and on my grasses especialy black hair like algea is dominating them. My lights are one ten hours each day and just added some ghost and algea eating shirmp to help. Any other methods? Thanks -Pete

ValorG
03-23-2004, 11:32 PM
siamese algae eaters if u can get them. they are hard to comeby and i got mine from aquariumfish.net

Wahter
03-23-2004, 11:47 PM
Make sure you get the real SAE's (siamese algea eaters) and get them smaller sized - the larger ones usually are lazy enough to figure out it's easier to wait for firsh food than munch on algea. :)

For more info:
http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/cyprinid.html

lesley
03-24-2004, 04:58 PM
Good link Wahter,

We bought three fish supposedly Siamese Algae Eaters, but one has always looked slight different - now I know why!

Thanks,
Lesley

captainandy
03-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Check to see what your phosphates are. I eliminated the same problem by using phosphate removal resins and adding plant essential elements. If you don't remove the cause, you can add all the shrimp, d siamensis, swordtails, snails, etc in the world and they just won't keep up

ReDtUrK.cOm
03-30-2004, 02:52 AM
yes i hate the stuff! do heaps of waterchanges and get some freshwater shrimp they will do they job ;D

Wolf_Mek
03-30-2004, 08:00 AM
You can try Florida Flag Fish and cutting off heavily infected areas on your plants. When I began fertilizing my planted tank, the algae died off so it may be another thing you will want to try.

The flag fish, I believe, will eat all stages of the algae, not just the new growth which is all the SAE will usually eat.

HTH

rdeis
03-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Flag fish, like otos, are exclusive vegetarians-- you'll have to suppliment with zuchini or something if they get it all cleaned up.

captainandy
03-30-2004, 03:01 PM
I also use swordtails my planted discus tank. They tolerate the soft, acidic conditions and munch on all sorts of hair and brush algae. Plus, the fry provide the occasional snack.

stir-fry
03-31-2004, 09:55 AM
I recently had a bloom of this stuff when I switched from Tropica Master Grow to PMDD (poor man's dupla drops). It turns out that I overestimated the strength of the PMDD and therefore wasn't adding enough nutrients to the tank, and suddenly algae started flourishing.
Check your nutrient levels and get them balanced out and i'm sure it'll take care of itself, and a couple of SAE's couldn't hurt.