PDA

View Full Version : Nitrite spikes...

Shive
03-23-2004, 11:15 PM
I expected to get some Nitrite spikes since I had received some discus before my 40gl had completlely cycled. But I am changing 25 to 30 gallons of water a day. And it still reads at least .50 probably higher. I thought I could control this problem with frequent water changes like 10 gallons 3 times a day but I cant seem to get it under control. I'm a little worried about the fish! I have 2 sponge filters and a AC300 running I have 2 sponges in the AC also. I'm considering nitrazorb or BIO-SPIRA to help get this under control ....any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Shive

Carol_Roberts
03-23-2004, 11:19 PM
Salt @ 1 or 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons will help with nitrIte poisoning. Try the BioSpira.

ronrca
03-24-2004, 10:51 AM
I would also increase wc's to 50% if you are fighting the nitrite levels however this is providing that you have access to that much 'aged' storage water.

I also would try BioSpira and be sure to add lots of detox like Seachem Prime which detoxifies the nitrites but the bio will still consume it! ;)

mikeos
03-24-2004, 01:57 PM
Unless your fish are small ( less than 3") I would reduce the amount you feed untill the filters mature.

PS in addition to the above posts

ronrca
03-24-2004, 02:38 PM
;) Yes, very good point! If you have adults, I would not feed for a day or only feed sparing once a day!

slicksta
03-24-2004, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't use anything that removes the nitrite or your filter will never cycle....as suggested use a product that detoxifies it and leaves it consumable by your filter. I also agree cut back on food and salt them up until your cycled.
good luck............

Shive
03-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. The only LFS in the area that carried BioSpira is out until late summer. So I will plan to salt and to pickup some SeaChem tonight. I was able to find that anyways at the LFS. I will keep doing the 3x10gl water changes a day. Hopefully it will cycle soon!

Thanks Again
Shive

slicksta
03-24-2004, 07:04 PM
how do the fish look...are they eating...
if they are OK...don't worry....you don't want nitrite in your tank....but it is not anthrax..your fish are tougher than you think...
note:changing to much water will slow down the cycling

Shive
03-24-2004, 11:35 PM
I changed out 15 gallons and added enough salt and SeaChem Prime for the whole tank. The fish are much better there fins are completley extended and there swimming the whole tank. The Nitrite is still registering pretty strong at least 2.0 but the fish are happier :)! Thanks every one I plan to drop back down to 2 x 10gl
water changes per day. But I will add salt and seachem to offset things till the Bio-Filter gets cycled. I'm still little confused I would think daily water changes @ 50% would be enough that the Bio-Filter would not be that important. But obviously I'm wrong what else is new!

Thanks Again
Shive

SSrowr
03-25-2004, 12:04 AM
The massive water changes *probably* would off-set the importance of the bio-filter BUT, it would slow down it's colonization with the good stuff. So, unless you want to do water changes 24/7, you really want to get the filter cycled... So, no, you aren't wrong; possibly misunderstood Slick, but nothing more ;D

Remember, this is IMO, nothing more-
~Seth~

ronrca
03-25-2004, 10:44 AM
Fish respiration also cause ammonia levels to rise, not only uneaten food and feces therefore even if you were to do 100% wc daily on a fully stocked tank, your bio filter would need to be functioning. One can 'bend' the rules by under stocking though thus less fish, less repirsation, less ammonia. ;) Wc's do 'slow' down the growth of the bio filter because you are removing their 'food'!