PDA

View Full Version : aged water - still use dechlorinator?

hooha
03-25-2004, 01:47 AM
this may be pretty basic, but i'm not sure of the answer so....

when aging water, can I put tap water in a storage container, aerate it, and let it sit for 24-48 hours without using a dechlorinator, or will I still need to add that?

Thanks!

slicksta
03-25-2004, 09:03 AM
I would say no...chlorine definitely will evaporate after a day....not sure about chloramines....

I live in the NYC area and they use chlorine in my city.....I stopped using amquel about 6 mo ago and I do WC right from the tap....the fish don't miss a beat.
I don't like to add anything if I don't have to....

ronrca
03-25-2004, 10:39 AM
It will depend if your tap water has chlorine or chloramines. Chlorine will dissapate in 24hours or so and chloramines will not (I think its like 1 to 2 weeks). How do you find out? Call your city water department and ask! ;)

Milleruszk
03-25-2004, 02:08 PM
Sliksta,

You add water right from the tap? How do you regulate the temperture? I would think that a sharp change in the temp would be worse than the chlorine.
If I could add water directly from my tap it would sure make things easier! LOL

Tom[

quote author=Slicksta link=board=21;threadid=17505;start=0#msg179977 date=1080219814]
I would say no...chlorine definitely will evaporate after a day....not sure about chloramines....

I live in the NYC area and they use chlorine in my city.....I stopped using amquel about 6 mo ago and I do WC right from the tap....the fish don't miss a beat.
I don't like to add anything if I don't have to....

hooha
03-26-2004, 03:04 AM
thanks guys
no chloramines supposedly in our water supply, i'll try using aged water on some less expensive fish and see if this holds true :)

slicksta
03-26-2004, 09:16 AM
Tom
I have a small hole poked in the hose of my python that I stick a thermonmeter in....I get the temp exact, and once set it stays constant for the entire WC....I'll take a pic for ya....
I tried aging water for a few months...saw absolutely no benefit and was a pain in the arss. It cost me more to heat the water that way as well...
Try it with small WC's on a (runt if you can) tank at first and see your results

daninthesand
03-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Hooha...

For water changes, I use 130 gallons (~156 US gallons)of straight tap water after aging for 14 hours. (chlorine in my water-no chloramine). I do this on a regular basis and have never had problems. My water barrel is on 1/4" supply line and takes about 3 to 4 hours to fill. I aerate it with the excess air from my central linear piston pump as its filling so the water is degassing as it fills.

I have never had a problem with effects of chlorine using this system, sometimes doing close to 100% water changes.

I once did have a probelm when the airline for aeration became disconnected without my knowledge and the water was not aggitated. The fish were aggitated, but they were ok after a few hours. ;D

HTH

slicksta
03-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Milleruszk
here is how I refill my tanks

slicksta
03-26-2004, 09:06 PM

Milleruszk
03-26-2004, 10:01 PM
Thanks Slicksta!

Ardan
11-13-2004, 10:23 PM
From now on I will use a dechlorinator as a precaution even after aging water.

My city added a very large amount of chlorine, my 20 hour aged water with aeration (although maybe not as turbulent as could be) was not enough to dissipate all the chlorine.

Results were disasterous.

This is just my experience.
hth