PDA

View Full Version : 1st planted tank

khblock
03-25-2004, 06:45 PM
Hello All,
Here is a picture of my first planted tank. It needs to grow in but I'm pleased with it so far. I really like my Kleiner Sword.

xen
03-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Hey there,

Nice looking tank. I agree - that sword is just lovely. Looks very healthy ;-)

Cheers!
John

ChloroPhil
03-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Khblock,

That's a good looking start! Overall you've got a good beginning design. Once it's grown out some more then I'll comment.

FYI, that "Kleiner" sword will be anything but "kleiner". The german name for that plant is Kleiner Bar (add an umlaut on the a) which means Small Bear in german. It's going to get HUGE and should be placed in an area where it can grow out. Giving it an 8" diameter area to itself wouldn't be uncalled for. Pretty soon you're definately not going to want it in front of any plants. Some anubias would be a perfect plant to put in front of it as they're short, green, and do well in shade.

See you next week,
Phil

khblock
03-27-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks Phil,
I belive you about the sword. I thought it was going to be a slow grower. Its put on two leaves since I got it. Its very healthy. I think I will give it one whole side with the plants you suggested in front.

I'll see you at the workshop. Oh, did you ever get a list of plants for the auction?

Take care,
k

ChloroPhil
03-27-2004, 05:52 PM
I have yet to order them. I get the availability list on Mondays and order based on their specials that week. Don't worry, there will be some neat stuff for you.

Best,
Phil

khblock
03-27-2004, 08:30 PM
Goody!!!!!! ;D

Don_Lee
03-27-2004, 08:39 PM
Very nice looking tank, especially for your first attempt!

Don ;D

khblock
03-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Thank you Don. I still have a way to go and lots to learn.

Wahter
03-27-2004, 10:32 PM
Nice tank. If you want a slow growing sword, Echinodorus Oriental fits the bill - I think an anubias or java fern grow faster. I have a Kleiner Bär sword - it's leaves are wider than any of the other swords I've had (radican, indian red, rose', etc...). "Supposedly" it will stay on the smaller side; the one I have was grown emersed and is about 12" tall. The submersed leaves are still wide, but they are shorter (so far) - maybe once the roots find that Dupla K laterite ball, the plant will explode in growth?!?! ;D

Here are some more pics of Kleiner Bär:
http://homepages.compuserve.de/wasserpflanzen/galerie/echino_sorten/e_kleinerbaer.htm

Some info: (in German - you can use the translator on babelfish.altavista.com to translate it to English)
http://homepages.compuserve.de/wasserpflanzen/galerie/info/info_kleinerbaer.htm

03-28-2004, 11:51 PM
Beautiful setup!

khblock
03-31-2004, 08:39 PM
Thanks for all the kind words.

I'm moved the sword to a new spot. Phil suggests...
It's going to get HUGE and should be placed in an area where it can grow out. Giving it an 8" diameter area to itself wouldn't be uncalled for. I moved it to the center of the bowfront where it can spread out. It's already at 14". Se picture below. Don't ask where the fish are. I think they are afraid of it. :o

Geez, I kill everything out of water. I don't know what I'm going to do if it keeps growing. Another tank to its self perhaps ;D I'll try selling that to my husband. More tanks = more fish. I'm beginning to like the sound of this!