PDA

View Full Version : Sponge filters for overstocked 100 gallon?

M0oN
03-27-2004, 02:07 AM
I'm considering converting from HOB filters to sponge filters in my 100 gallon tank, it contains 7 angelfish, 14 discus and likely a sting ray in the future.

I'm thinking 2 sponge filters rated for 125 gallon tanks and 2 rated for 75 gallons should do it powered by a single Azoo battery backup pump.

Just trying to be certain that I get enough started for this not to fail the first time around, any suggestions?

April
03-27-2004, 05:11 AM
the more the merrier..i use three size 5 hydros on a 100 gallon. but..i have soft water and it crashes easily. your water is far different than mine.
i also have a big rubbermaid with a powerhead pumping water up to it..on top of the tank then the water goes through the sponges and back into the tank.
i used to use all hob ones..now i like the sponges . you can get them running in your tank before you remove the hob ones. their great as you can move htem around if you start a new tank. especially if you have two or three in each tank. main reason i have more than necessary.

Willie
03-27-2004, 11:03 AM
I stack two Hydro V's and run it off a powerhead. Actually, I run two of these combination filters in a 75 gallon tank with normal stocking density. I don't think there's any way to overdo the filtration and sponge filters are cheap.

Willie

slicksta
03-27-2004, 06:36 PM
you should be fine...

ever consider a wet/dry....it can handle a massive bio load

M0oN
03-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Yeah Slicksta, I've just become strained for time lately and can't really clean the sponge filters and bed in the HOB's anymore, which is why I'd like to switch...

April
03-27-2004, 07:44 PM
heh willie..how do you join the powerhead...maybe im missing something..but i tried..and they dont fit...

GulfCoastDiscus
03-28-2004, 08:07 AM
Hey MOon, If you're handy you can create your own sponge filter using a replacement hydro sponge and 3/4"pvc for a lot less. Total cost including sponge less than 3 bucks.

Dan

The sides with holes is where you slide the hydro sponge.

M0oN
03-28-2004, 12:51 PM
Thanks Dan, I'll give it a shot :)

I'm guessing they have no problems handling the same bioload as premade ones nor do they need to be powered by a stronger air pump?

GulfCoastDiscus
03-28-2004, 02:58 PM
They require the same air power. Just like all sponge filters, the stronger the air pump the better it filters. The air bubbles draws water through the sponge by convection. So the stronger your air pump the more efficient the filter is.

Dan

dpt8
03-28-2004, 03:10 PM
Dan, Where do you the the drilled part and the sleeve with the suction cups.. Thanks, David T.

GulfCoastDiscus
03-28-2004, 07:09 PM
David,
The suction cups is from an Ebo heater.

Dan

GulfCoastDiscus
03-28-2004, 07:20 PM
I forgot to tell you guys "Not to glue anything together". Its easier to clean. It'll stay together without glueing.

Dan

GulfCoastDiscus
03-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Well Thank you Beth. I use the hydro 5. Buy 6 or more from Jehmco and it's a little over 2 bucks a piece.

You can also drill a small hole on the back side of the tower and put a suction cup instead of the Ebos. I find the Ebos suction cup flatten and won't stick to the glass.

Dan

CanadianGuy
04-08-2004, 04:09 AM
I think that Hydro sponges are over-rated as to what size tank they can handle. It's said that a 4x4 sponge does 20g of water. Do the math ;)

PS. Great design dan...I've been wanting a way to get my sponges off of the bottom!

Lauren
04-08-2004, 11:42 AM
You could always further expand into making your own
http://www.angelfish.net/yabbse/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=2618

(nearly) fully customizable, which means, you can make the tube as long as you want, the closer the tube is to the top of the water the better the waterflow(will need to be squeezed out more) or add more sponges.. etc
Water flowing through the sponges faster is better to a point I believe, but it can be to fast for the bacteria to do its job.
I like the design for the hydros though, thats pretty nifty

GulfCoastDiscus
04-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Thank you canadian.

Lauren with my design you can also vary the lenght of the tube and the size of the sponge according to the height of the tank.
Make sure not to glue any pieces together for maintenance.

dan