PDA

View Full Version : hydro 5 as prefilter?

dpt8
03-28-2004, 03:07 PM
I'm having trouble with two aquaclear 300's with double sponges on my 55 gl. I treated with formulin and lost the bio-load again. I do have fluval 2 sleeves as prefilters but I am trying a hydro 5 on the intake of one aquaclear 300 trying to get that to run the sponge and add more bacteria. Do you think that will work out good? Thanks, David T.

slicksta
03-28-2004, 06:25 PM
not sure how dense a hydro is but as long as the sponge doesn't cut the flow through the 300 you should be good

Carol_Roberts
03-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Hi David:
Two aqua clear 300's with double sponges should be enough filtration for a 55 gallon. If you want to run an extra airdriven sponge filter you can. The point of a prefilter is to trap debris that you can then quickly rinse off under chlorinated tap water. I wouldn't try to have a prefilter do double duty.

slicksta
03-28-2004, 09:07 PM
good point Carol
I purposely kill all bio in my prefilter(floss & sponges) so it can be replaced as needed and it leaves no place for the bac' to grow but where I want it to....in my wet/dry.
If you wanted to increase your bio...you should be able to run it with a 300....but you would have to rinse in tank water when needed.