PDA

View Full Version : Heaters

sublimetruth1982
03-28-2004, 11:41 PM
What heaters are the best? I've ran into a couple of brands that have problems after use. What heaters do you members use?

sublimetruth1982

gary1218
03-29-2004, 12:22 AM
It is my firm belief that the next person to make a million dollars in discus will not be the one to develop the next SUPER DUPER discus. It will be the one that makes a reliable heater.

Name any brand of heater and there will be any number of horror stories. Unfortunately it's gotten to be a crap shoot.

But, since we do need them to keep our discus comfy, I use Ebo Jagers and I've recently started using Visi-Therms again. Visi-Therms have always been very good maintaining temps of 84-86F in the tank. There only downfall is they really can't get the temps into the 90s that we sometimes need to treat sick discus. That's where the Ebo Jagers come in. Unfortunately they just don't last like they used to.

GARY

Carol_Roberts
03-29-2004, 02:12 AM
My newest ones have been Won brother Pro heat. I also use ebos and tronic

stygian7
03-29-2004, 02:23 AM
I've tried several with dismal results. Right now I'm using an ebo and a pro heat II. I had to take the pro heat apart to adjust the dial to heat to the set temp. This is described in the manual, but a major pain to do, as a small turn in the adjustment screw can have a large effect. Also had to adjust the display to show the correct temp. To make things worse, it seemed to need to stabilize for about an hour before displaying a consistant temp.
I've heard good things about some of the controllers, where you can crank the heater all the way, and use the controller to turn it on and off. They can get pricey though. Occasionally I look on ebay for "water heater" in the laboratory equipment or health care section. I'm hoping to find something of that grade that I can adapt to an aquarium setup, but haven't had much luck yet. Closest I've found is a dental heater, but it would require a separate pump. Also, I don't know how precise it's thermostat would be.
-Kevin

xen
03-29-2004, 03:16 AM
I have an 200W Ebo Jager that has been working like a trooper for well over 12 years now.

I recently managed to pop my first cheap heater (a "Tota"). Funny thing - I hadn't actually realised they "pop" out of water, since my Jager has always just shut itself off when this happens.

After reading a few 'boiled fish' horror stories, I'm keen to get another good quality heater. Any other suggestions?

Cheers!
John

slicksta
03-29-2004, 03:54 AM
I like ebo's
Been using 100w and 200w with no problems for years....
seems many have had problems....but it seems more often than not with the 250w...

ACURA....I had many fail
viaqua titanium....fall so far out of calibration you need to set them at to max to get 80 deg...this happends within weeks
rena cal...just couldn't get it up

Rob R.
03-29-2004, 12:32 PM
I'm currently running 8 pro heat titaniums from won brothers(200-300 watt). I haven't had a single problem.

Fishin dude
03-29-2004, 12:43 PM
I'm with Rob......Titanium with the external control and separate thermostat are taking over the Ebos in my tanks. They hold the temp and will go to 92f with no problems.....cost more, but that is not an issue with my discus. :fish: :fish:

LEM504
03-29-2004, 12:58 PM
I had good luck with Tronic heaters in the past.
Two out of the last six, wouldn't work - out of the box.

They have either changed something in the theromstat, or cut corners. I see that some of the suppliers have dropped them -

Buy something else

Larry

sublimetruth1982
03-29-2004, 01:14 PM
I've seen some breeder/hobbyist around my area that don't use heaters. But they keep their fish room very warm, around 90. They have a big portable/electric heater going at all times. The room is well insulated and the doors stay close. Does anybody here use this method? Is it cheaper if you have a room filled with tanks?

sublimetruth1982

Jeff
03-29-2004, 01:17 PM
The only heaters I had not had go out are from Jhemco. Goleline controller and titinium heater. They have been running about 2 years. They are not cheap though.

SSrowr
03-31-2004, 06:49 PM
I'd Like to see some more input on this post! What does everyone use/ recommend?
~Seth

03-31-2004, 07:05 PM
I also have switched all my heaters to Pro Heat titaniums from Won Brothers.
Until now no prob.s at all.
For me they are the most accurate and easy to handle.
Drawback is of course the price.

Ronald

Tad
04-01-2004, 01:01 AM
Visitherms exclusively for last 2 years with no failures or problems. Changed to the Visitherms after multiple problems with the EBO's and Tronics.

HTH,
Tad

stygian7
04-05-2004, 07:36 PM
Well, my Pro Heat II went out a few days ago. Sticks on, even though the indicator says it's off >:(

I just ordered one of the industrial controllers and titanium heaters from Jehmco a few minutes ago. At $139, it better work for the rest of my life! Actually, if it does, I'm happy to spend the $ for piece of mind. I figure that I've spent at least that much in replacing bad heaters by now anyway (especially with this pro heat that just died-not even a year old). I'm going to contact the company and then sell the replacement on ebay.

-Kevin

Jason
04-05-2004, 08:26 PM
I love my Star wars heaters lol

http://www.superiordiscus.com/images/products/theo_heater.jpg

just wish I could get them for le$$, I'd switch every one over to the hydor's

April
04-07-2004, 10:55 PM
I got one of those fancy smancy hydors from Jason. its great so far..even accidently got it out of the water today..still going..and going..and going.
visitherms are good..but..dare to let it get out of the water!! i broke every single one when the water hit them again. they get soooooooo hot!! thin glass. and costly..i paid about 35 wholesale.
so...Hydors it is for me for now. gave up on ebos..as a matter of fact.. i sent tons off to some guy for classroom tanks.

K.Fawson
04-08-2004, 01:13 AM
In the last 2 months I have purchased 2 Ebo's and 2 Won pro heaters, the 2 Ebo's (150 watt) have not been able to heat above 80 deg. and the Won pro's are still in the tanks and doing great!

stygian7
04-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that my pro-heat II went out. I finally got around to contacting Won Brothers about the warranty. They will replace it, but I have to send a check for $9.95 to have it shipped back to me. I'm displeased >:(.
IMO, they should at the very least, send the replacement for free. Really, I think they should pay both ways once it's determined that the damage isn't due to user misuse. Even if they're going to charge for return shipping, it doesn't cost $9.95 to ship a 250w heater. I will never buy one of their products again. Incidentaly, DFS discontinued them; whether this is related or not I don't know.
I am very pleased with my new heater from jehmco. Industrial controller and 1000w titanium probe. It's only been in service for a week or so, but is precise and accurate so far. I guess time will tell.
-Kevin

LEM504
04-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Kevin,

Customer service keeps getting better. Wish I could say the same for a lot of products.
I have returned quite a few things that broke or didn’t work. Most of them have the shipping an handling charge, Any where from $5 to $15. Everything I have returned, was either replaced or repaired and I didn’t send their Mickey Mouse check.

Try it - what have you got to loose --

Larry

discusmith
04-17-2004, 02:57 PM
The only heaters I trust are the Jalli titanium variety if they must be inside my tank. I assume they are like the pro brand. I do however buy cheap glass heaters, set the thermostats to go to 90 -92 and then plug 3 or 4 of them all into an electronic digital 1000watt controller, then I place them in a sump or a heater vessel. (I heat my storage water this way as well.) That way if the controller fails the internal stats should shut the heater down and prevent over heating. You get accurate temp control at a reasonable price and adding wattage is simply a matter of adding one or replacing one with a higher wattage. I can supply more than enough wattage so that if one fails I don't come home to a cold tank.

Northwestcoastdisc
04-17-2004, 03:16 PM
I use ECO THERM made by aquarium system INC for 12 years now The heater has no problems. It can reach up to 120 F. I trust the eco therm.

The new visi therm deluxe is so awesome and heat so fast. Be careful the heater is very senstive to breakable. I use it for a year now it works very well. The Visi Therm reach to 89 F.

The old EBO's Green) are better than new EBO ( black). The black EBO heaters are not last longer good for up 10 to 14 months.

I have won pro heat I use it for near a year now. one of heat broken. I dont know why it does not working... They heat up are slow.

Let me try use with Jason's heater. His heater is looking so cool 8)

I perfer to have high quailty heater for my fish hatchery. I don't buy any cheap heaters. The high quailty heaters are good stuffs to keep stable temputure a like -1/+1 to -2/+2 are perfect.

Duncan

NWCD

limige
04-17-2004, 03:33 PM
my suggestion is to buy through aquatic ecosystems then, they give you no hassle about replacements and sent them out asap with no cost or hassle. awesome people to deal with!!!

Jason
04-17-2004, 04:01 PM
IMHO

you should'nt have to worry about hassles when returning stuff..

This should'nt be an issue really, why do we have to return heaters as much as we do? that kind of product return percentage for any product wether its shoes or a tv is absolutely ridiculous....even if they do return it no hassles big deal! you should'nt of had to return it in the first place, the heater should work right.

Dead out of the box I could care less, I'll just toss it in the garbage, its when a heater cooks a tankful of fry or a breeding pair is when I get pissed-off, that's why I use $25 heaters.

neonineuless
04-17-2004, 09:15 PM
I have used Visi-therm for a couple of years in a 29 gal. tank, 150w successfully. No problems to report. Of course, now that I've said that...

In Texas, the 2nd floor of a 2-story house in the summer months usually keeps an aquarium between 80-85 degrees (A/C only used at night). Perhaps that is why mine has lasted so long... the red light is only seen Oct-Apr.

Regards,
--John

pcgamer02
04-18-2004, 03:35 AM
I'm strong supporter of all marineland products. ( I think they put alot of research inot theyre stuff and none of theyre products have ever let me down). That being said I use the visi-therm heaters. I have about 5 and none of them have ever failed on me. That would be my recomendation :)

Wahter
04-18-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm still using Ebo's, but I have a Visi-therm that I'm trying out too. So far, so good. I keep my heaters on a power strip along with my filters; when I do water changes, I switch the power off; when it's done, I turn it back on - so far, I've not left a heater on while it's not submerged. :)