PDA

View Full Version : Sucker Loaches in Discus Tanks!

Neil1_2
03-29-2004, 06:08 AM
Well one more thing i heard from the friend who was in penang.. all the breeders there have sucker loaches (AKA bristle nose catfish) {see pic} in their breeding tanks and even the tanks with the fry. they say it helps to keep the water clean (in the first place i fail to understand y do they need CLEAN water after about 100% water changes daily) but they cut off the tails of these loaches before adding them in the discus tank .. i think its probably cause they wont be able to steer themselves freely in the water and would stick to the glass and wont bother the Discus. any one nos how to cut the Tails??

Wahter
04-01-2004, 11:23 PM
I think they are used to keep the tank's glass clean of algea.

I've been told that some of the fins are clipped off of the larger pl*cos, but never heard that was done on the smaller bristlenoses.

Nick_Schembri
05-24-2004, 02:13 AM
Just for future readers: a sucker loach is NOT a pleco!
Google it and find the real sucker loach: Chinese algea eater.

Nick_Schembri
05-24-2004, 02:19 AM
AND most importantly. Do not place sucking loaches with Discus.

You will get this result:

Smokey
05-24-2004, 02:57 AM
Warning ::: the Chinese sucker loach is a preditor/coniviour!!

""""MPE""".

E.G. - They eat fish - from the outside in. and faster than any Pleco'.

Algea does not exist in a "well maintaned" DISCUS TANK!
Food and feces do not exsist in a well maintained discus tank.

ONLY discus do well in - a well maintained discus tank..

This is based on a single hobbiest's tank['s].

Not a hatchery -in'some other country - where they have the opertunity to "flow - through - the - water -! [ Natuirally contaminated water][impurities exisiting].

Bristle Nose catfish are a totaly different species. Different countries of orgin.

MPO > do not set up discus - as a community tank fish. Go with angels first ... then you will underst stand why! hehehhe.

Angels are a :"D" 2 fish .
Discus are a : "D" 4 fish.
There is a reason why these numbers were assigned!

Skymtn.

05-24-2004, 03:06 AM
You've summed it up all well, Smokes! :thumbsup:

One learns from their own PE (personal experiences). I have the 4" clown loaches (had them now about 1 year and they're growing fast). It is now that I have to install them in their own tank. Saw those same marks on my discus.

But another point too is if you have two fighting discus, you will find these same markings! THey can be brutal in the tank at times. So it's best to have a few waiting tanks just in case of a nasty scoffle ("Discuswrestling").
;)

**angie**

Neil1_2
05-24-2004, 04:18 AM
well may be its not viable... but arent penang breeders supposed to be the best in the world.. if they are doing it ... there has to be a good reason...i personally have never tried it and am never gonna try it.. but am just inquisitive to learn new things...

Smokey
05-24-2004, 04:29 AM
THE VERY REAL -
Difference between a preditor - feeding off of others { aka - paraciite's / they do exists in all living organisms.}
The weak wiil be overcome/defeated/eaten, by others.

OR - THE natural selection of the strongest. The strong survive.

Only the human race has elimated/controled this basic "law" of natural selection.

When two cichlids/{and some other species] - oppose each other - two situations can occur:

Male verses a male.
Natural selection of the strongest!
Flight or fight.
AND - One will have to yield to the other. or DIE!

Males verses a female. The right/oppertunity to mate-breed.!
AND - only IF
The male / female is strong enough to met the others one's "advances".
Proveing that they are sutiable to "breed". aka - we are compatiable.

Do not mistake externial "signs of brusing" only to to paraciitic "abuse".

The confrontations - that occur within same species - can be very minor or very obvious!!

I have observed anglel fish "slice" another angels side open!

Oscars, severums, discus, - doing the mouth - to - mouth .. lock jaw fight:: ripping off the other's lower jaw!
Knife fish killing the other. Asian, Afician.
Rams - they get thier name - because they can literaly ram an oppenient to death.
Kribs, jewel, etc... survive and grow or NOT!!

So; when a person deceides to set up a "community" style tank - be careful!!
Someone may lose...

Skymtn.

FOOD
FRIEND
or
FOE.

Smokey
05-24-2004, 04:47 AM
Neil:
You have brought up the very essiciens of raising fish.
Try it or not.
I am of the group - try it -- at Least once.
If it does not work ... at least I know . and why!!

To suppose - if it works in another.s tank -- it will work in my tank .. may be questioniable.

Some things are static. pH, KH, GH, etc ... numbers. 5 means five in any culture.
Some things are variable. living organisms..!

E... G... - My disucs grow well in my cultured water ... others can not grow discus in their water. Even thought we all share the same "raw" water source.
What can the difference be??.?
Expierence ... which is result of the trial and error - success/or not school.

You did a wise thing - inquired about the behaviour of a fish .. Inidian algae fish. the responce has been -- they will feed off of other fish; as will many types of catfish species [ oppertunity feeders].