PDA

View Full Version : Chlorine

GIT
03-29-2004, 07:55 AM
Does chlorine kill a biological filter ? , I am aging my water , but I would find it a lot easier to use from the tap and add a chlorine remover, presumably some of this chlorinated water would reach the filter and kill the bacteria ? before it has all been neutralised by remover

N

slicksta
03-29-2004, 08:40 AM
yes it will....but it depends on concentration...
I add tap with no remover...and do up to a 50% change with no problem...when adding water...I let it smack against the back of the tank...not right in the water
now it depends how much chlorine your city uses...
how I got to that point was adding less and less remover over time and testing to see if there were any problems..
be careful doing this if you have a crowded tank....I did it with a 20G and two fish to start....now I do my fully stocked 155 no problem..

ronrca
03-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Slicksta is correct! It will depend on the concentration of chlorine. Another thing to watch out for is the fish reaction when adding chlorine. The declor does require time to 'neutralize' all the chlorine therefore the fish may get stress as the chlorine levels rise, then fall again. This again depends on the concentration of chlorine in the tap water and also the volume of water change! ;)

RyanH
03-29-2004, 01:21 PM
I would not try this with your prized fish. If you want to tinker with this, do so with culls. I would also gain a very firm grasp of your water chemistry before attempting to add it directly to your tank.

1. The chlorine/ chloramines may be in too high of concentrations to add safely to your tank without causing harm to your fish.

2. If your pH is not stable out of the tap the swings can cause your fish serious distress.

3. Water temperature should be very close to what is in the tank. After some practice you can get a pretty good handle on water temps by just using your finger but an extra thermometer is a good idea.

4. You could always remove your sponges/ turn off your power filters when doing a water change.

5. I do not recommend doing this, especially if you are not an experienced fish keeper. Aged, dechlorinated, heated water is always the best way to go.

Willie
03-30-2004, 07:12 PM
Every water change for me is 100%. They get water straight from the tap. As the tank is filling, I add sodium thiosulfate and AmQuel. No problems.

Willie