PDA

View Full Version : Filteration

micro
03-31-2004, 09:05 AM
Hello everyone! : :D

I am a beginner at discus. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 220 gal planted tank that had really big fish, foot and bigger, with 4 canister filters on it pumping around 1300 gal per hour. The 4 canisters we used to keep up with the big fish waste. Over the last 6 months I have been converting the tank into a discus tank and removed all the big fish. The only problem I have noticed is that I think the current is to much for discus. Is this true? The discus are really active in the tank. What do you think I should do with the filtration. I have (2 Fluval 404,) 340 gal/hour and (2 Magnum 350,) 350gal/hour.

slicksta
03-31-2004, 09:50 AM
as far as the current....I don't think it is a problem...I have 2 - 304's on a 75g and they don't mind it..I have 1/2 the output pushing towards the back glass.....if your concerned try to create a spot with little current by redirecting all your outputs...see if the discuc like that spot best...

I think the best filter for large tanks is a wet/dry

micro
03-31-2004, 01:47 PM
Thanks slicksta....

I was not sure about the current. I was reading on one of the discus websites that if the discus can not stay in one place by themselves, they will wigg out :o. I know my current setup is pushing a lot of water around. So far I have 2 discus in the tank, received them yesturday and they seem to be moving around a lot, not sure on their completly on their own. So far they are not eating, but I think they are still adjusting to the change in environments. Their color's (blue colbalt discus) are staying light and bright, not dark. I will give your idea a try.

Thanks again,
Mike