PDA

View Full Version : Self-Priming Pumps

CanadianGuy
04-02-2004, 03:54 AM
Does anyone know who makes a good aquarium safe self-priming pump? I can get one from HD but it's oil filled and I would like to use to to transfer water from tank to tank as well.

ronrca
04-02-2004, 12:55 PM
If you use submerged pumps, they will be primed at the time providing of course there is water in the tanks! LOL! Not sure if that works for you or not!

CanadianGuy
04-03-2004, 05:12 AM
Nope won't work for what I need. I want a pump to do water changes with. Currently I'm using a python and I want to use a pump so I can run the waste water straight to the drain and cut down on my water use. So I'll need one that I can sit in a corner and run remotely. Then I just go from tank to tank with my cleaning wand.

Ardan
04-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Hi,
I use a self priming 1/2 hp Cambell Hausfield pump for sucking water and debris out of my tanks. It pumps 1450 gallons per hour. Cost around 120$ U.S.

hth

CanadianGuy
04-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Thanks Arden...exactly what I'm looking for! Though I'm in Canada so I don't know if I can find that type here. The biggest I've found so far only pumped 310 gph.

CanadianGuy
04-06-2004, 11:14 PM
No one else uses a pump to empty/clean tanks? You can't all be using pythons!? ???

ronrca
04-07-2004, 09:54 AM
LOL! No, not the python! I actually use a sump on my tanks with a mag9 pump to circulate the water thru the tank and filters. All I do is open a valve and the pump will drain the sump. I also use the siphon effect to drain the tanks lower than the overflow. This is easily done by placing a valve lower than the tank itself. ;)

Check out my yahoo album under the fishroom 30G Qt for some pics on the plumbing!

http://photos.yahoo.com/ronr_ca

Rick_May
04-07-2004, 04:52 PM
what I use is a 10' 2" diameter hose drained into a 35 gallon trashcan. in the trashcan I have a sump pump operated by a float switch. I suck the water into the trash can when It gets about half full the sump pump kicks on and drains the trash can through a garden hose and waters the lawn. it works great. I'll tell ya though a 2" hose will move a lot a water.......fast. I can do a 50% change on a 75 gallon tank in about minute. Just gota watch out for the fish getting too close.

CanadianGuy
04-07-2004, 07:47 PM
Great idea Rick! I'm trying to find a solution that won't have me running from the tank to the sink/garbage can to start the siphon...If I can't find a decent pump it just might be your method instead!

ron,
I'd like to incorprate something like that into my setup too...it would make things alot easier...but I still need the pump for the 30 other tanks that aren't on the system! ;D

ronrca
04-12-2004, 03:56 PM
On the 30G Qt tank, I do not use a pump to drain the tank. I have a 3/4" PVC pipe that sits on the bottom of the tank inside. The bottom has nocks cut into it to allow water and not fish to enter the pipe. By placing a valve below the level of the bottom of the tank, I will always maintain the siphon providing I do not allow it to drain to the bottom. To do a wc, I open the valve the tank drains.

To fill, I ran another 3/4" bowpex pipe from my aging containers. The aging containers have a submerged pump for the rack anyways. ;)

CanadianGuy
04-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Ron,
Are your tanks drilled for your draining system? If I can do this without drilling, I might try and set it up something similar! For the tanks on the central filter I was thinking of putting an overflow on the sump so that I can use Carys method and flush and fill. I like your idea for all the other tanks tho...would make things alot easier.

ronrca
04-14-2004, 03:05 PM
No, my tanks are not drilled for the draining system! The 30G Qt tank using the siphon method with the valve installed below the tank level therefore when I close the valve, it maintains the siphon (unless you run the tank dry though).

In my other tanks I use sump containers with circulate the water thru the tank. I have my tanks drilled or constructed to overflow into the sump. When doing a wc, I open a valve to the drain and the pump that circulates the water thru the tank will now pump the water down the drain. ;)

Check out some of the pics in my yahoo folder under the mini rack section. I also have some new pics of the 65Gs that I will post soon!