PDA

View Full Version : Finally - first discus!!

Luca
04-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Well, much to the confusion of many of the people on here, I actually didn't own a discus, yet made many a post, as you can see, nearly a hundred!

Now one year later i finally have a real discus. Only one, alas, because it is from a friend of a friend who is shutting their tank down and it is the only discus they had left after its husband died (the guy was reasonably sure the discus i have now is female)

Anyway, I turned the tank lights off to reduce stress and I just released her and she has disappeared. Hopefully i will see her in the morning, exciting times,

Luca.

jules
04-02-2004, 10:08 AM
Good for you Luca! :D

DiscusFevaa
04-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Did you put her in a community tank?. You should find a nice looking stud for her ;)

Jeff in NC
04-02-2004, 02:05 PM
How does she loo Luca? Hope she is doing well. Jeff

Luca
04-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Yup she is in a tetra community tank with 3 clown loaches. I know not ideal but it will have to do for now.

What does she look like? good question, she is so dark, almost black from moving (well she was also quite black to begin with because she was kept in very low light levels). Apparently she has a bit of blue in her but she's still hiding at the moment. Maybe i should've left the lights off all day today? but then my plants would suffer. I guess i just gotta give her time.

And i would love to buy a stud for her but the trouble is knowing if i'm buying a stud or a lass. I've heard 2 can be problematic if they're not a pair?

Keystonediscus
04-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Thats not true discus do best in groups you may see them Courting from time to time if they are opposite sex but other than the occational feeding frenzy fights they are very Docile fish

Luca
04-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Ou that's great to hear, i thought my current one would bully the new one because my current one would've established territory though?

Update: she is getting lighter and definitely relaxing more, she is coming out from her hiding place and has eaten some flake and some home-made ox-heart/shrimp mix :)

I'm starting to wonder if she was black in her old tank from stress rather than from low-level lighting? What do y'all think? (old tankmates were: large kissing gourami, 2 large bala sharks, 4 large angels, 2 clown loaches, 2 black-line foxes, and one very large black knife/ghost(?), (all in a 6ft tank with one fluroescent bulb lighting).