PDA

View Full Version : foundation weight limits.

flukes
04-04-2004, 08:55 AM
First of finally become a member of this board, its great and i hope to find some great experiences here aswell as share some of mine own.

I just built a 3 teir 4ft stand, and i just realised that my house is not on a concrete foundation its on a wood. The wood cross beams run 22inches apart.

The stand i made is 55inches long and just under 22inches wide. I was just wondering if the floor can hold it?? Also should i put a board under it so spread the weight? and should i run along the beams or across them?
How would i find out information regarding weight limits?

Any info would be great as i dont know where to start.

Thanks
Scott

P.S iam in OZ..

ronrca
04-05-2004, 10:07 AM
It will depend on how you orient the stand in regards to the beams. Make sure the stand 'crosses' the beams or is 90deg to the beams rather than running parellel! ;)

Rob
04-05-2004, 10:26 AM
I'll try to help:

The best way to position the stand is across more floor studs: kind of like this:

| | | | | | | |
| | ____________ | |
| | | stand | | |
| | |___________| | |
| | | | | | | |

however there are a few things we need to know to calculate the load limit on your floor:
1. What size are you floor joists? (2x8, 2x10, 2x12 modern or true dims?)
2. How far apart are they? (you said 22" is this center to center or space between)?
3. What tanks are you putting on the rack? (3 - 55gal ?)

You should design the stand to have at least 6 main supports (to be safe) although depending on your construction methods you may not have to.
A 3/4" plywood across the floor would help distribute the wieght more evenly, but depending on your construction method may not be necessary.

I usually build my racks like a box, with full rails on all four sides in full contact with the floor. (May take a lot of shimming to make level and keep maximum load distribution on floor)

I use as a general rule of thumb for 18" on center 2"x10" floor joists 800 lbs over a 48"-60" x 18"-24" area, most floors can hold more than this but I prefer to err on the side of caution. A 55gal tank is about 400-500lbs with gravel and decorations. And I don't think I ever want to see what happens if it falls through the floor.

I looked hard into this when I got a big tank (220 gals about 2000lbs with gravel) and wanted to put it on my ground floor (above my cellar), there was no way I could do it without shoring up the supports underneath that area. So it went into my fishroom in the cellar instead.

ronrca
04-05-2004, 12:08 PM
I made a mini rack system around the same dimensions with 6 20G plus 2 45G sumps! Ive had no problems. ;) AS long as you spread out the weigth over the beams, you should be fine!

Here are some pics! ;)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=9428

flukes
04-06-2004, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the info guys, the stand is for 3 55g's but i think i mgiht put a 40g ontop. Anyway the total stand is 55" x 22", iam guessing total that would be about 750kg (dont know lbs as iam in OZ) all up including everything. Iam not really worried about the floor breaking iam more worried about a sag over time. I think if i put the tank cross the beams and also near an external wall then it should be ok, being that there will be barers at the sides of the house. The floor is 22inches from center to center. They are also "True" 2x10's. It should be right with a piece of plywood underneath to spread the weight. The rack i designed is not a box type, But it is cut in to the 4 holding posts.

I am sure it should be enough i didnt really get that equasion Rob, but by what i explained it should be right yeah??

Also ronrca that is a nice mini rack setup, still havent finished reading the page, but i will. Also i was just wondering the dimensions on the 20g's tanks. They would be great for breeding tanks, still looking for a glassier to build me tanks or learn to do it myself.

Anyway i want to finish reading that page but when iam finished i will be wanting to discuss it with you more ronrca.

Thanks for the help guys

Scott

ronrca
04-06-2004, 09:53 AM
Scott,
My rack I have around 25" from the wall to the back of the stand. I had to leave this much space in the back to fit the sumps under without having them stick out in the front too much. I have not noticed any sag in the floor....well, nothing to worry about as I am sure with 200G plus the stand and tank weight there is bound to be some sag!

The tanks themselves I build from glass and windows that I managed to pick up for free. The dimensions are 15"h x 15"w x 24"l! ;) Feel free to ask questions! I actually just finished building 2 more stands for 2 65G tanks! ;) Im actually very happy with how these stands turned out and must give the credit to Smokey for his vast expertise. I am more than glad to share and pass it along! ;)

flukes
04-08-2004, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the info ronrca, i got the building of stand down pat, well not with all the overflows and sumps that you have intergraded in, but i can get the stand to hold it :o, I thinking of learning how to make the tanks, i was wondering if those tanks are glass? as i would prefer to learn how to build with glass. Anyinfo would be great as i havent tried it so i might start with something small and then try a 55g later. I was going to try to build a sump and connect all tanks but now i dont want all the tanks to use the same water, as i am thinking of breeding some peppermints (alot more expensive in australia) in the bottom tank, cant use the bottom one for discus anyway.

So if you or anyone else has any info on building glass aquariums and where to find cheap glass that would be great.

Thanks for all the help,

Scott

ronrca
04-12-2004, 03:51 PM
All the tanks are glass that I did make myself. Cutting glass is actually not that difficult (make sure you really be carefully with the edges). All that is required besides the glass is a glass cutter, hand held wheel type around $3-5, a T square or straigth edge! The whole idea is to 'score' or mark the glass where the glass is intended to break. Then you have to 'snap' the glass along the score. I have a tool for the also. You will also required diamond grit sand paper to 'finish' the edges for the obvious reasons. This you may need to buy from glass companies.

Cheap glass must to searched for. Buying it new can be expensive. My glass I got mainly free from huge livingroom windows or other 'windows' that were being replaced.

PM me your e-mail and I get get into the details and instruction! ;)